Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 08-21-2009, 08:43 AM   #1
just_learning

Looking for a pro in Austin, TX

I posted my project http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...ad.php?t=76352 on this forum. I'd like to get another bid. The last one seems high. Anyone in my area that can put a shower pan in correctly? If not, I'll go pay Angie.
Unread 08-21-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
Rd Tile
Tile Man

Yo Alex.
Unread 08-21-2009, 12:22 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Brad Bressler is in Georgetown.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/member.php?u=10022
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2009, 08:13 PM   #4
MNTileGuy
Central Texas Tile Guy

Thanks JB!

I met Joe and the Mrs. today. Hopefully this works out for everyone!

MNTileGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2009, 09:35 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Do let us know.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2009, 10:02 PM   #6
rocksolid

Another vote for Brad. I know him personally and he can do a great job for you. He's extremely educated and knowledgeable about tile. Plus, he has a college degree!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/HallCr...78019725597379
rocksolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-31-2009, 06:26 PM   #7
MNTileGuy
Central Texas Tile Guy

Well guys, I appreciate all the kind words.

Unfortunately, despite the kind words and putting my best foot forward, I got beat out by a lower bid that can start this Thursday rather than two weeks out.

Instead of throwing the OP under the bus, I'll focus on the positive in that he did compliment me that he was confident I would've done a great job and my bid was the most professional they got.

I won't put prices on here, but the OP told me that the other bid came in almost 1/2 of what mine was. Despite references checking out, I told him to be very skeptical and watch him like a hawk. I have a sneaking suspicion that a bunch of non-English speakers may show up at the door...
Unread 08-31-2009, 06:42 PM   #8
just_learning

Everyone,

It was good to meet Brad. He came out and took his time talking to us about the project. He had some good suggestions and really made us feel confident that he would do a great job. He followed up with a very professional and complete bid. It seems like a fair price. Unfortunately he's booked up for the next two weeks and we're itching to get this dang thing started and finished.

We had another, lower bid from a guy that can start this week and also sounded like he knows what to do. He was recommended by a tile store here, and he provided three references. They all checked out. I was a little concerned based on his lower bid. I plan to check in on his work frequently, since I've been stung.

I just talked to Brad on the phone tonight and he took the news well. If anything goes bad with this new guy, I'll either nail the bathroom door shut and call it quits, or I'll go crawling back over to Brad to see if he's still available. He probably won't be, with my luck.
Unread 08-31-2009, 06:50 PM   #9
just_learning

I just crossed postings with Brad. Thanks for not throwing me under the bus

I'm very anti-illegal immigration. If I find out they're illegals, I'll kick'em out. I'm not sure how you find that out though.
Unread 08-31-2009, 07:11 PM   #10
MNTileGuy
Central Texas Tile Guy

Joe-

I appreciate that. Rightly or wrongly, if they no speaka da inglais, I always assume they're probably a no-go. Even if they are legal, how do you communicate with them if you have a question or concern?

Unless they're truly starving, I just don't see how a legal American could make a respectable living and do a quality job at the price you were quoted. If they're using the same materials as me, roughly $150 of that was material. That's what doesn't make sense.

My guess is the guy you met with is a "front" for the guys doing the actual work, but I have been wrong once or twice.

One last comment, and then I'll get off the soapbox, promise. The references checked out, but assuming they were for other shower projects, did the homeowners in those instances have any idea what a properly prepped shower looks like? They're probably more concerned with how the finished product looks and if they're happy with that, ok. Problem is, it usually takes a year or two before signs of an improper pan become apparent.

Like I said, watch carefully, take pics and don't hesitate to check back in here at the forum.

I just want to emphasize that I'm not trying to come across as bitter. You and the Mrs. seem like nice folks that have already been burned once and I hate to see you go through the same ordeal again.
Unread 08-31-2009, 09:04 PM   #11
bathroomremodeler

Brad,

I think you keyed in on the right words "quality job".

We all know installers who will give low prices and do low quality installs. The guys who do "high quality installs", will always have a hard time competing on pricing.

I don't think homeowners really understand that there are different levels of installs. The old adage, "you pay for what you get" still applies.

Joe,

Hopefully, you found some guys that are hungry for work and gave you a "good value" (high quality install for a low price) price and everything will work out to your benefit.

If you really want to know if they are doing a low quality or high quality install ... just keep an eye on them and what they are doing. Post it in this same section and the rest of the guys will let you know if you are getting a bargain ... or getting ripped off.

My bet, is that they won't follow standards ... yes, there are standards.

We're here to help
Inspector and IAQ Inspector
www.deanlovvorn.com
bathroomremodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 11:15 AM   #12
just_learning

Reporting back...

I'm just now reporting back because I asked another question in the sealant area about grout color, so while I'm here...

The guy ended up being a complete a-hole. At one point, he got upset because I called him at home on a Saturday while his guys were working at my house because I didn't like the way they were putting the cigar trim on, and he said "it's Saturday and I'm trying to relax, but you're calling me at home!" to which I said tough shi_! The job was close to being finished so firing him at that point didn't make much sense. This is just one of about 5 ridiculous episodes.

I called the tile store that recommended him to me, and they said they won't be recommending him any more because they got another complaint the previous week. The owner said he's known the guy for 12 years and maybe he's having some personal problems right now that he needs to solve. Yeah, being an a-hole is definitely a personal problem.

It's a very long story, but suffice it to say, we should have waited, paid more, and gone with Brad.

I know, I know, you told me so.

Point any other price vs. quality threads back to this one.

Joe
Unread 02-07-2010, 11:24 AM   #13
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Thanks for posting that last comment Joe,

It means a lot to us professionals who work hard at our craft, study to learn the latest products and methods, and care about giving our customers a quality product we stand behind. Too often people focus solely on price and speed at the sacrifice of a job well done.

When a customer says to me they can't wait for me to get there, I respond "Why would you want to hire someone who isn't busy ???"

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 11:31 AM   #14
Mountain Tile
Pashley Tile

That's too bad, I'm sure if you hired Brad, the outcome would have been the opposite. But maybe you can still hire Brad to do the job over if their work fails. Then you would have saved nothing, it usually costs double the first price to do over. I hope that's not the case, but time will tell. Thanks for getting back to us and Good Luck.

wwwpashleytile.com
Mountain Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 11:40 AM   #15
cx
Moderator emeritus

Thanks for reporting back to us, Joe. Sorry it didn't work out for you, but maybe you've helped some other lurkers learn the concept of price/quality, eh?

As is oft quoted hereabouts, the bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has been forgotten.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase