Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-13-2009, 08:29 PM   #1
tyler101

Which Shower System?

I have been planning on using a Schluter Kerdi system on our new shower. When I was at the tile shop the other day the salesman suggested using a wedi system. Here is the URL http://www.wedi.de/usa/products/fundo/fundo.php. Has anyone had experience using a wedi system. He quoted $936.25 for the 3x5 and $1150 for the 4x6.
tyler101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-13-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I've never used Wedi although I did see a demonstration of it at a local Dal tile. It looks like a good product but it's too expensive.

There are many different installation types on the market, any of them will give you a lasting shower if installed correctly. The Wedi boards are about 3 times as much as others. I'm not gonna use it.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2009, 10:16 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

I've not used Wedi, but if speed was an issue, it might pay for itself. Assuming the area was prepped, you could go from a studwall to tiling in a couple of hours or less if you didn't need to trim things much. Kerdi wouldn't take all that much longer, but it would be longer since you'd have to put up the drywall, and mixing, spreading, and embedding the kerdi on the surfaces and curb will take longer. A lot of people like to let the Kerdi set overnight before they start tiling, so that's an issue if time is a factor, too...with Wedi, there's no need to wait as you won't hurt the material moving a tile like you could with the Kerdi if the thinset hadn't set up a little.

There might be more room for error with the Wedi, since you are relying on the urethane sealant bead for the joints and penetration. WIth Kerdi, the larger overlap of the fabric probably offers a slightly greater margin of error.

It would be MUCH easier to make some interesting shapes with Wedi, and a free-standing shower in various shapes is available as a kit (they have one that is a scroll for an easy access, doorless unit).
Attached Images

Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2009, 09:44 AM   #4
Mid-AtlanticTileDist

Some input...

Hello
I am familiar with both the Kerdi and Wedi Shower System. The Kerdi may be a bit cheaper, but I would say the Wedi is worth the extra money for an easy install and peace of mind. I have installed and sold both products and I find the Kerdi to be a little harder to work with… especially for an inexperienced installer. The benefits of the Wedi also outweigh those of the Kerdi membrane. There are some aspects of the Kerdi drain that I really do like, but it’s not enough to lock me into this system. If you are going to be using the Kerdi Pan with the system, then I definitely suggest the Wedi, as I only really recommend the Kerdi for my old school mud guys that don’t like anything new or different. I still provide the Wedi shower system (at a much better cost than you were quoted). Let me know if you need anything, including advice on the system install, I would love to help you along the way.

Thanks,
Matt
Mid-AtlanticTileDist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Matt, welcome.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2009, 10:27 AM   #6
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

Hi Matt,

lots of pro's here familiar with Kerdi & Wedi.
some like a particular one for different reasons, here we are mostly Schluter with some exceptions.

why dont you drop by the "Professional's Hangout" and introduce yourself.

you can also add your name and who you work for in your Permanent Signature Line

enjoy your stay.....
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa, Florida installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdiboard waterproofed showers
Tampa, Florida installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan board waterproofed showers
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase