Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
koomo510

Slc- Two pours?

Hi,

I have an area approx 11' x 5' covered by CBU that I need to level. It is out of whack quite a bit. The low end is about 1.5" down and the floor gradually, but by no means evenly, comes up to the max height at the other end (in the 11' direction). I have done a very small SLC pour in a different location previously and I am well aware that it is a total nightmare. I plan to use Levelquik RS which I think allows a max of 1" in a pour. I also get that doing my two pours would require me to reprime unless it is done within a short time frame. My questions:

1) Do I need to use pea gravel? I hear people on the board talking about it for deep pours but I am not sure whether it is essential for situations such as mine....

2) Pea gravel aside, I am curious whether it is possible for me to first raise the low end somewhat with a different product (thinset, mortar or whathever directly over the CBU) prior to going over everything with SLC? I was thinking that if this is OK to do, I would 1) be able to avoid doing two pours of SLC and 2) save some money (not as important as #1, but you can't argue with more beer money)

Appreciate the help. I would be lost without you all!

Mark
koomo510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-14-2010, 06:16 PM   #2
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Best answer, all kidding aside is this:

Custom Building Products

13001 Seal Beach Blvd
Seal Beach, CA 90740
562-598-8808

Technical Services
Ph 800-282-8786

Fax 562-799-0943

Customer Support

Ph 800-272-8786
Fax 800-200-7765

Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Shanghai a couple of friends, and forget the RS, then use some pea gravel to save some money, and pour the whole thing at once. If you stage things, with a couple of helpers, you should be able to mix, pour, and move things to feather the low end in less than 20-minutes or so. RS would have set by then, and you want stuff to be liquid so it can flow to level. Really, if you flood things, it is easier to get the pour nice and level. See what happens if you make a pancake? It doesn't fill the pan. You want to fill the pan, move it around so all surfaces are wet, and then the surface tension can flatten it. the key is moving it around to wet everything and having enough so that surface tension doesn't 'hold' it to follow a hump...you want to bury it, not coat it. The thinner the coat of SLC, the more skill it takes to make it come out flat. Flooding is much easier (but you have to be fast, and RS is just TOO fast).

When I embedded pex in SLC in my small bath, I mixed and poured 8-bags by myself in less than 15-minutes (RS would have been setting, creating problems with the first batch), well within the time while it was still liquid. To do this, I premeasured all of the water into batches, opened all of the bags, and then did a marathon fill, mix, pour, until I was done. Mixing two bags at a time makes for a heavy lift, and most people will want a helper, and a sturdy container is required to carry it into the room. You really need to do a couple of bags at a time to minimize the time it takes. This stuff does NOT act like 'normal' cement. It goes from liquid to soild almost like a switch...you need to be done BEFORE that happens...RS on a big job is just too risky IMHO, as is trying to do it in layers.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2010, 09:09 PM   #4
koomo510

thanks for the advice! I think the levelquik ES would be my product (30 min flow time and 2" thickness) unfortunately it seems hard to find. I already emailed them so we'll see... Any ideas which other SLC's have both long flow times and deep allowable thicknesses?
koomo510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2010, 09:41 PM   #5
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

I used Ardex K-15. Don't remember its stated working time, but it was enough.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase