Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 02-17-2009, 12:26 PM   #1
Tile TacticsII

large self level pours need input!

I have a self level pour coming up over infloor heat approx. 857sqft. I know someone out there has done pours as large and larger. Just lookin for advice, you know do's and dont's, or tips that might make the job easier.
Tile TacticsII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-17-2009, 12:33 PM   #2
crow wing
No shortcuts

I had one last year 1000 sq, used a company out of MLPS mn they were done in about 4-5 hrs great work! could never have done this well with just myself.
Pumper truck, 3guys, Accufloor is the name.
Unread 02-18-2009, 05:32 PM   #3
Tile TacticsII

Alternative

need to know if there is an alternative to metal/plastic lath used with slc, maybe something along the same lines cost wise, but easier to work with. Lath is to be installed under infloor cable heat system with 3 seperate heating zones. Its going to take about 860sqft. of roll lath to cover area and about 5 billion staples theres got to be a better way???
Unread 02-18-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
crow wing
No shortcuts

Roll on antifracture membraine will stick it to the floor.
Unread 02-18-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
Tile TacticsII

antifracture good idea

But to my understanding the lath gives strength to the slc? besides i dont think i need to worry about adhension to the subfloor since its all going to be primed with latex.
Unread 02-18-2009, 09:53 PM   #6
MNTileGuy
Central Texas Tile Guy

I used to live up in you guys' part of the world. I was semi-familiar with accufloor. They definitely had the setup for major pours, but I doubt they'd travel beyond a couple of hours of the Twin Cities.

It can be done to pour that much by hand with several guys going it at. If you have enough guys mixing, carrying and dumping that you could just be in charge of screeding, it's doable.

I don't think there's a way around the lath, sorry to say. That's what helps give the SLC strength over a wood subfloor. Don't forget primer too!

I'd also make sure that the heat cables are well secured-don't assume the electricians have done this! The cables have a nasty tendency to float to the top. In fact, some folks do 2 seperate layers of SLC since in one pour the cables can float to the top, even in a deep pour. I speak from experience on that one.
MNTileGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase