Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 09-21-2021, 03:45 PM   #1
ITY

Tile Setters Gone Wild

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...asnt-paid.html

Unread 09-21-2021, 03:54 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

My God. I have seen this before on media. The work looked like it was done by Stevie Wonder....I mean VERY sloppy and unacceptable. Just look at the bench.

I can understand why the HO did not want to pay for it. I can also understand why the "installer" wanted to bust it up...no evidence of his sloppy work.

It should have been settled in the Courts...NOT in the home......
Unread 09-21-2021, 05:35 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

I think it speaks volumes about the state of the entire residential construction industry when someone would actually expect to be paid for work of that apparent quality. And that's just the cosmetic part. What about the important parts?

Not gonna turn out well for that contractor, I don't believe, but I expect she's already thinking of new names for her company, with full intent to continue that kind of business.

I actually think I remember a time when no "business" could survive more than their first job of that quality. Wazza long time ago, though.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2021, 08:08 PM   #4
makethatkerdistick

Wow. Hopefully, criminal charges will be filed against that contractor. Certainly not someone I'd ever want to deal with, regardless of the quality of their work. If you can't control your emotions, then you have a problem.
Unread Today, 11:16 AM   #5
ITY

I've heard of "Breaking and Entering" being against the law...

But "Entering and Breaking" adds a bit of unusual twist.

This story illustrates a few things regarding the rights and remedies available to homeowners and contractors in cases where expectations are not met.

Terry James Gregory is not a licensed contractor in Colorado.

The tabloids describe him as a contractor, but the more circumspect news reports describe him as a builder.

Even the YELP page for "Dream Home Remodels", the name of Terry Gregory's "building" business, describes him as a "Handyman". The Yelp page has been green checked as "Claimed" by the owner. The most recent Yelp user supplied review contains photos of the damaged home we alll saw in the viral video.

The Colorado Department of Regulatory Agencies, Division of Professions and Occupations, shows no record of Terry James Gregory, nor of Dream Home Remodels. There is likewise no record of actions against the above named for unlicensed people or businesses.

There may not be a requirement for obtaining a license if the work is limited to tile work, but there is a requirement to be licensed to do plumbing work. It is not clear what full the scope of work was that Terry Gregory undertook, but words like "remodel" and "handyman" imply the taking on of more comprehensive rebuilding responsibilities than just tile setting.

Why does any of this matter?

Because if Terry Gregory was a licensed contractor, then he would have been able to file a Mechanic's Lien against the property for non-payment, which would be the smarter way of settling the matter in a civil manner, rather than rampaging through the home with a sledge hammer.

The homeowner would be forced to resolve a validly filed lien before selling, or even being able to refinance, the home whose title is now clouded with such a lien. This is a lot of leverage in hands of a licensed contractor or subcontractor.

But to balance the interests of the homeowner from abuse of this power, the contractor filing the lien must also file a lawsuit to "perfect" the lien.

To the extent that Terry Gregory's work product was substandard or improper or incomplete, the homeowner's rights of remedy can addressed in arbitration, mediation, or litigation of this lawsuit. There, the homeowner can present facts and evidence as to the substandard or incomplete work, and why final payment was held withheld from the contractor as surety to resolve the shoddiness.

None of this happened. Terry Gregory didn't even try to make this happen, likely because he couldn't. He may not have had the legal standing to.

And, if he invested "weeks" of his time, and the amounts already paid and yet owning amounted to "thousands" of dollars, he may further have other legal and tax problems performing work for hire as a handyman in amounts greater than the statutory limit in his state, whatever that may be.

And the longer period of time between his job completion and final payment, the more people (friends, guests, neighbors, consultants that the homeowner could call in) would have had the chance to review and comment on the work, leading to less probability that the homeowner would be willing to pay for what wasn't done, or for what was done, but improperly.

So he was forked.

All the more reason for him to keep his emotions in check.
Unread Today, 03:23 PM   #6
Gozo

This story made it to my local news as one of those interesting tidbits for filler. Usually reserved for a cute puppy or such. I almost choked on my dinner while watching saying, “hey, I saw that nut job video on the tile forum”. Probably the best PR that guy could get. I feel bad for the poor homeowner.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase