Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-22-2008, 01:12 PM   #1
David Meiland

Stone tile--polishing edges

I have a bit of polished granite tile to set--it's called 'Juparana Bordeaux' by the folks who sold it, and it's quite hard. I need to polish about 10 lineal feet of edge, where the top and ends of a backsplash are exposed.

Previously I had a tile sub install a shower with this same stone. He brought a Flex wet polishing tool and spent half a day or so polishing maybe 30 lineal feet for the vertical edges and for a kneewall. I checked Amazon and this is a ~$350 item, maybe more when you throw in some diamond pads.

I have the usual assortment of belt sanders and random orbit sanders, but nothing for stone. What's a good approach to this? I am always willing to buy a new tool, even something like the Flex, but it would get infrequent use.
David Meiland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-22-2008, 01:14 PM   #2
bbcamp

David, you might want to call your sub back and see what he will charge you. Stone fabrication shops often to this for anywhere between 10 and 20 bucks a foot. You'll come out ahead in time and money if you can work the shop into your plans. More time for doing what you already have the tools and skills for. More money for the important stuff, like beer.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2008, 01:25 PM   #3
David Meiland

He'll certainly do it for his hourly rate, but he appears to have gotten caught up working on a palace for a rock star, so I'll be at the end of the line. It's against my better judgement to borrow the guy's tools, since my wife is not his sister, etc. Due to our silly location I am not in a position to drop the material off for polishing at a fab shop, which I have done before when I lived elsewhere.

I aware that I can buy diamond hand pads for polishing, but I can easily imagine horrible hours spent hurting my elbows as I hand-rub this stuff. I installed a glass enclosure on the above-mentioned shower and drilling the 3/16" holes I needed was murder.
Unread 08-22-2008, 02:11 PM   #4
JTG

David
You can spend a lot less on a grinder and use dry pads for what you want to do.
Do a Google for Master Wholesale in Seattle and you will see they have the backer pad and the the sanding disks you would need to this job. They sell individual paper pads and you could get like 4 each in various grits and be in business. Call them and ask for Travis and tell him what you want to do and he can hook you up with what you will need.
Good Luck
JTG

Santa Seattle
Ballard

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/SantaJerryinBallard
JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2008, 02:51 PM   #5
Mike2

David, if you already have a variable speed grinder, all you really need is a set of pads http://www.masterwholesale.com/details/1166473495.html and a velcro pad holder http://www.masterwholesale.com/details/1092677256.html.

At Masterwholesale in Seattle, about $100, total.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2008, 09:19 PM   #6
David Meiland

Well, I have four 4-1/2" angle grinders, and zero of them are variable speed. I suppose 10,000 RPM is too fast for dry polishing.
Unread 08-22-2008, 09:30 PM   #7
Mike2

Yep. Need to keep it down to 2,000 or so. That applies to both wet and dry.

P.S. Hook one of your grinders to a MLCS speed controller and you'd be good to go.
Attached Images

Last edited by Mike2; 08-22-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2008, 09:34 PM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

David, David, David.

Get thee out and buy you a proper grinder, wouldja?

If you've got a lotta time 'till you need to be polishing, maybe we could pewt your name onna list to test the Traveling TYW Makita Angle Grinder when the current tester is finished. He ain't had it but a couple weeks, though, so you might gotta wait a while.

[Edit]

'Course even that one won't go as slow as Mikey wants you should go.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase