Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 05-08-2021, 08:20 PM   #1
Snets
Professional Weekend Warrior

Anyone seen or done this type of bathroom floor?

I was doing some work at a new custom home and saw this type of shower/bathroom floor design, never seen this before. The entire bathroom floor is large format stone. The area that would normally not be wet has normally set stone on the floor. The "wet" area (far half in the photo) has a sunken area and drain below it, probably 6-12 inches lower than the dry floor area.

They used adjustable pedistals under composite grating to level the wet area floor and then set the stone, with no grout, perfectly level with the other half of the floor. So water just disappears between the stone and no slope on the floor, not even the shower (to the left in the photo).

They did the entire patio around the pool exactly the same, at the same height as the interior floor.
Attached Images

My FIRST Kerdi Shower Project

Always look in the LIBERRY
Snets is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-08-2021, 10:00 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

I’ve seen pedestal systems for thick stone at Coverings Trade Show in the past. But it’s all been exterior use. The system looks fantastic for all sorts of areas from ground level to rooftops. But I’ve never seen anything for an interior application like you show.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2021, 10:32 PM   #3
Snets
Professional Weekend Warrior

This is a structural steel building so I suppose anything is possible inside. You are correct in calling it "pedistal" I was not sure what to call it. The pedistals have pieces to correct for the below slope and anchor in, and adjustments for correct height.

If you have money, you do not need to fuss with slope. This is a very high end build, if I were to guess, well over $10M for the construction alone. I know the property alone was $2.7M with no house.

My FIRST Kerdi Shower Project

Always look in the LIBERRY
Snets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2021, 12:53 AM   #4
CaliGrown

Wow, that’s slick
Didn’t know the pedestal system could be scaled down to a bathroom size, only seen it on ext decks. Pretty sweet IMO
CaliGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2021, 06:36 PM   #5
Vieiratileservices
Vieira Tile Services

I believe peygran has the leveling system, but I’ve never seen it used like this. Any idea what’s below it for waterproofing and a drain set-up. In be curious if they use a preslope with a liner and drain over the total area, and then use the pedestal feet to get heights of floor right.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase