Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 04-12-2008, 12:44 AM   #1
RedRock
Granite, Quartz, and Tile Installer

Movement joints

I have some jobs coming up this summer that have me puzzled about the application of movement joints in the tile work. I read through all that I can about how to proceed but would like some real world suggestions.

1. Older concrete porch that was added on to a couple of years ago with more concrete porch. Between the two slabs is a 4 inch space that was then filled with more concrete to about an inch shy of the concrete height. This space was intended to have tile installed. Essentially there are 2 construction joints to contend with.

2. Small bathroom floor on concrete slab. Two saw cut control joints perpendicular to each other in the middle of the floor. Stone tile will probably be installed. The joints are just about in the middle of the room so I figured they would make excellent grout lines and accomodate soft joints well. But, they want the tile on diagonal.

3. Commercial job with large second floor area (approx. 2000 sf). Second floor is poured concrete over which will be installed radiant heating tubes and another pour of concrete (gypcrete or some other pumpable concrete). There are currently some saw cut joints in the first concrete. The tile is a 4 ft x 4 ft stone sheet mounted mosaic to be installed over the radiant heat floor. Waiting to see the final floor and the tile.

Any comments /suggestions?

Unread 04-12-2008, 06:09 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hey Juan,

My answer is always Ditra with soft joints as close as possible to the actual concrete crack/saw cut/division, whatever. You can also inform the folks that there is no long-term guaranty over concrete no matter what procedure is taken. As to the people who want diagonal, I would simply tell them they can't have it. The floor should run square to the joints.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2008, 06:44 PM   #3
Dan Kramer
Registered Tile/Stone User

Quote:
Two saw cut control joints perpendicular to each other in the middle of the floor. The joints are just about in the middle of the room so I figured they would make excellent grout lines and accomodate soft joints well. But, they want the tile on diagonal.
This is the situation I'm facing. My clients have a 11x19 concrete pad (inside) and they want it covered with a 16" porcelain on a diagonal. I'm guessing there is no way to run a diagonal? Is there no anti crack membrane I could use and cover up? I reckon I know the answer but I would like to hear some thoughts. My search didn't turn up too much on this topic.
Unread 06-14-2008, 11:05 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Aw, c'mon, Juan, you makin' that up, ain'tcha?

1. I'd sure wanna get a manufacturer's rep involved in that first one. And I'd want some sorta crack isolation membrane that's installed with some kinda soft pookey like maybe Noble CIS.

2. I agree with JB on that one. Just tell'em they can have their diagonal layout so long as it also has a soft joint following each of the saw cuts. Bet they'll right quick start seeing the beauty of a straight layout.

3. Depends upon how they do that pour over the radiant tubing, but I think I'd want a rep involved in that one, too. Fella ain't gonna have any idea where those joints are after the fact, nor will he know where the upper pour is likely to crack anyway. He'll just know it is likely to crack. Ditra would likely be fine if the mosaics were large enough, but I'd like to hear Herr Schluter say that if I were you. If the stones are smaller than 2x2, you'll want to talk with Noble about that one, too, seems like.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase