Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-11-2007, 09:15 AM   #1
Oxi

Best grout method for sealed tumbled marble tiles?

Thanks to your advice, and finally getting off my butt and doing my entryway, I now have my tiles laid. They are tumbled marble. I used the thinset you guys recommended, and the methods, and all came out great. Now, I have enhanced/sealed the tiles, and they look great. I used the stonetech enhancer/sealer, and did it just as the directions stated. Ok, so, now I have to grout. I have the recommended grout, and the tiles are sealed, but I am still worried about getting grout in the nooks and crannies of the floor. I know its not suppossed to stick since its sealed, but I am not sure I "buy" that. Should I use a cake icing style bag to grout to ensure that I dont fill in the "character" of the tiles? Am I overthinking this? Pics forthcoming, I am proud of my "not perfect, but half decent for a newbie" tile job.

Thanks

Keith
Oxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-11-2007, 09:42 AM   #2
sgrandjean
Healthcare Consultant and Boxer Rescue Volunteer

Keith,
If it were me (and I don't normally seal before grouting), I would stick with a regular grout float rather than a grout bag. I don't think you get the result you're looking for by using a bag.

Cheers.
Unread 07-11-2007, 11:33 AM   #3
Oxi

So, I shouldn't worry about the grout getting stuck? If i do it with an icing bag, the gout lines won't look right? Can you clarify?

Thanks
Keith
Oxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2007, 01:24 PM   #4
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Depending on the grout colour, I generally don't stress over filling the inclusions on the tumbled marble. Particularly on a floor, I would think it preferable to have them filled....otherwise, they'll just become pockets to trap dirt. When I use this on backsplashes, shower floors and walls, I make it a point to fill them with grout. It shouldn't hurt the "character" at all.

Last edited by Lazarus; 07-12-2007 at 09:25 AM.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2007, 01:31 PM   #5
sgrandjean
Healthcare Consultant and Boxer Rescue Volunteer

Keith,
I know I've got better control over where the grout ends up using a margin float rather than a grout bag. I've done two small jobs...one a floor and the other a backsplash, with a grout bag...neither turned out well, and I ended up adding a bit more grout and tackling it with a grout float instead. I guess it ends up as personal preference.

Cheers.
Unread 07-11-2007, 05:13 PM   #6
jay f
Illinois Flooring Man

Send a message via Yahoo to jay f
Personally, I would rather have grout in those nooks and crannies than the alternatives of what it could be (dirt, muddy dog poo, etc,) .

give me thin set or give me death!!!
jay f is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase