Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-27-2006, 08:21 PM   #1
CAlandscaper

Installing Limestone Tile on Exterior Concrete

I work for a landscaper in Southern California and we have started a job with limestone tile. Originally the material was going to be thin set directly to the concrete slab, but now it is going to be laid on a mortar bed over the slab. We are planning on laying a cured bonded mortar bed and then applying a premium thin set after the material has dried. My questions are, for exterior work what is the best type of mortar bed to use- standard deck mud(is there a special mix for exterior?), a regular mortar mix, or some other alternative? We plan to cut soft joints in the mortar bed every 12' but how do you transition this through the tile (with a caulk or something else)? We do a lot of flagstone work but not a lot of tile, any assistance would be appreciated.
CAlandscaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-27-2006, 08:31 PM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

A polyurethane caulk is probably your best bet,but there are others.are you going to use a membrane over the existing slab?If there are any cracks, or the slab is new, it would be a good idea.Also, if the mudbed is going to be thicker, for some reason, say 2" you'll need wire reinforcement.I use a 4to1 portland and coarse sand,or bonsals,floor mud premix, myself,i like it cause it's got large sand in it, and becomes very strong...you'll want to stick with portland,and not masonry.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2006, 10:19 PM   #3
CAlandscaper

We hadn't planned on using a membrane, just bonding the cured bed over the slab, which is new. The tile would then transmit any cracks I am guessing, as opposed to floating above a membrane? Any suggestions as to membrane type? Thanks!
Unread 02-28-2006, 09:48 AM   #4
CAlandscaper

One other point of clairification, is a membrane necesary with 3/4" Limestone. We set flagstone over concrete with a mortar bed (not thin set afterwards, just directly in the bed) with no membrane without a problem. Obviously we would do the same installation type here if not for the fact that the limestone is thin and would not hold without the thinset.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase