Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 09-10-2002, 05:46 PM   #1
tomtuttle
Official Brau Meister, JB Forums -- Tacoma, Wa.

I lurk. Okay, I've admitted it. Not a lurkaholic, mind you, but still.

I just want to offer a couple things. I'll try to be brief, but it's not my strength. Kind of "all-or-nothing".

First, Thanks. You are a fine bunch of folks and I learn a lot from reading the kind and thoroughly helpful content you so generously give. This is a comfortable place and I am grateful for your time and talents. I don't tile much, yet, but the wife...well, you know.

Second, whatever happened to the logo/monogram/john's-web-address-on-bikini-bottoms idea? Laughed my butt clean off on that deal, but frankly, I'd like to see some fruition. Plus, it would be a way for us to give back by buying stylish johnbridge.com logo merchandise, mostly beer mugs, of course.

Finally, who is the resident beergeek? I'm not talking about the legions of uber-qualified beer TASTERS. I'm talking about the engineer/cook/chemist/janitor who knows a chinook from a fuggle. I've been a certified beer judge (no Sam Houston Institute of Technology) for about 8 years. As such, I've judged dozens of homebrew competitions and brewed and drank lots of good and bad beer. There are better judges than me, and better brewers, but if I can be of service to the collective, I'm eager. I like Shiner Bock, but you guys have gotta forsake Corona for Bohemia. Trust me on this.

Again, thanks for all you do, and for collectively creating a wonderful web place. Now, I gotta stop typing so I can drink my beer more efficiently. I'll be around.

Tom
Tacoma, WA (which is south a spell from Mukilteo)

tomtuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-10-2002, 05:56 PM   #2
Cami A
Official Hostess and Moderator at Large

Tom, that sounds like you're the "official" beergeek. I've already confessed to enjoying Mic Light on tap nightly, so I've lost any chance of ever becoming "Beergeek".

The slogan suggestion thread is actually still a work in progress, so to speak. "Tile your World" might be the winner, but we're in the "standing around" phase...again.
Unread 09-10-2002, 06:03 PM   #3
davem
Systems Engineer and Moderator, JB Forums

Send a message via AIM to davem Send a message via Yahoo to davem
I know a chinook from a coho from a steelhead. I have also brewed a batch or two, but not in a while. BTW, I like "Tile your World" too.

Fight Fight Fight for Washington State!!
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2002, 06:59 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Thank you for the very nice compiments, Tom. (See, I ain't gonna make any jokes about it. See, flatfloor? Don't call me any more names. I'm too sensitive.)

Tom,

As Cami indicated, I think you just talked yourself into a job. I'm not a Shiner man, but I go back to the days before the current Shiner Bock. Do you know the story behind the brewery? It's just a couple hours west of here.

And Tacoma. Well, I can't tell anymore where one town stops and another begins up there. I have a brother who just bought a house in what I think must still be Burien.

If you think you will hang around for a while we could probably take a vote and appoint you the official brewmiester (braumeister). I don't think we could come up with more than two weeks unpaid vacation going in, but you could accrue good time from then on. Who knows how high you might go?

P.S. "Fuggle" doesn't sound good. Have you checked that word out, Sonnie?

P.P.S. I like "Tile the World" too. Good slogan.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2002, 07:21 PM   #5
Hobbit
da Educator -- North Carolina

Wow! A real certified beer judge. I didn't know you had to be certified to judge beer. It's either tasty or it isn't!! (And of course, most of it is!!)

Actually, I used to brew quite a bit myself. Gave it up about six years ago when I moved to this small town area and my supplier refused to follow me.!! Have to drive about 75 miles now to find good malt and grain. Besides when you brew it and always have it around its too easy to turn alky.

Incidentally, one of my best brews was a milk porter that just filled you up with 'smooth.' Heavy malt, no bite-----at about 70 degrees it was just too good. Another favorite was a continental style pilsner. If you like German or Austrian Pils you would have liked this double hopped brew.

Now I get my brew from the grocey store. Gawd, I'm ashamed to admit it!!

Have Tool Will Travel
Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2002, 07:24 PM   #6
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Howard,

What the hell's wrong with getting brewskies at the grocery store? They run outa Corona?
Unread 09-10-2002, 07:30 PM   #7
Hobbit

Nah,.....

Corona's all right I guess.

Just too damn hard to push those little limes into the bottles.

Have Tool Will Travel
Unread 09-10-2002, 07:42 PM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

Hmmm, I always thought it was "Once burnt, twice shy", Howard. Where'd you git them teeth in there?

A beer expert! Damn, did he come to the right place, or what? Wait 'till RobZ hears about this.

Shiner? 'Bout 20 minutes up the road, methinks. Don't know that I ever tried the stuff myownself. Wasn't never no commonsewer anyhow. Not that I recall, anyways.
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2002, 07:58 PM   #9
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Aside, but still on topic.

The Shiner Brewery in the town of Shiner (about 20 minutes up the road from CX) went broke about 6 or 8 years ago. They used to make a sort of pilsner that was favored by the Czek (sp) and German folk in that part of the state.

Anyway, some of the people in the town of Shiner launched a drive to save the brewery. They gathered enough support to buy the place and keep it open. Somebody decided to not brew the fare that had apparently led to financial ruin but to brew only a dark "designer" beer instead.

From my understanding, Shiner Bock is well recieved in many parts of the country.

(Some of the above might be bullshit, but you'll have to prove it. I'm stickin' to it.)
Unread 09-10-2002, 08:00 PM   #10
Hobbit

"Once bitten twice shy."

Hmm....perhaps a bit of regional flavor/variance has been introduced???

Have Tool Will Travel
Unread 09-10-2002, 08:04 PM   #11
Bud Cline
Tile Contractor -- Central Nebraska

Hey John?

Is the Hiney Winery still operating in Texas?
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2002, 08:14 PM   #12
cx
Moderator emeritus

You betcha, Bud! Still located right behind the post office in wonderful downtown Euless.

Hardly don't nobody know about Hiney Wine. I am tres impress.
Unread 09-10-2002, 08:33 PM   #13
Bud Cline

That's good news cx, I never drove thru Euless without grabbing some Hiney.
Unread 09-10-2002, 08:44 PM   #14
Bud Cline

A few years ago there was talk of them expanding to Lincoln Nebraska THE College Town of the midwest with the University of Nebraska and the Cornhuskers football team and all.

They were going to change the name here to THE BIG RED HINEY WINERY. But ole Tom what's his name put the cabosh to it...being an ordained minister and all.
Unread 09-10-2002, 08:49 PM   #15
cx
Moderator emeritus

I think they woulda had a problem with that, Bud, Big Red being one of the founders, along with his brother, Thor.

Copyright or some such, doncha think?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase