Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 11-11-2005, 04:29 PM   #1
BroNeilson

Grout turning out white, need help

Hi, I just finished a little 60sq ft bathroom for my parents. 2nd bathroom I have done for them. My first bathroom I used some of home depots grout I think it was polyblend grout, that ended up turing white. Don't know why but I figured It was probably just cheap home depot grout and it still matched up pretty well with the tile so no big deal. For my 2nd bathroom, I used tec grout, when I worked for a company thats about what we only used, so I know its good stuff. Anyways I just grouted it this morning and it was supposed to be like a tan color(sandstone beige) and it has completely just turned into a bright white again. It looks normal mixing it and applying into the joints but the color as it dries just fades and ends up into a bright white. I worked for a company for about 3 years and basically all I did was grout, and never had a complaint or was called back to fix a job, so I can't understand whats going on with this, or what I could of done wrong.
Any help would be apprecaited.

Sorry for the crappy pics, best camera I can use right now.
In the two last pics is two clumps of grout (from the same mix) is the darker color I was exspecting to see. I can't figure out what I could of done wrong.

Last edited by BroNeilson; 11-11-2005 at 06:30 PM.
BroNeilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-11-2005, 06:56 PM   #2
Bri
The Ditra Kid

That can happen with any companies grout. Happens all to often. Try giving it a good wash with 50/50 white vinegar and water to see what happens. Give it a bit of a scrub with a nylon scrub pad to see of the white is only surface eflorescence.

“The world is a tangled up necklace of pearls"
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2005, 07:00 PM   #3
BroNeilson

Alright thanks. What causes this? And I did the final rinse around 11am today(11th), should I let it set for a good 24hrs first or do it now?
Unread 11-11-2005, 07:01 PM   #4
scott anthony
Tile Man -- Central Florida

Hard to say, the only thing that come me when I hear Whitish grout is efflorescence. I well admired fella here helped me with one job I did. He told me to use Sure Clean 600. And dam that stuff is kick ass. You need to call the corp and find the nearest distributor. That's providing it's efflorescence.
Oh and if I haven't said it Thanks Todd
Now what is causing this hmmmm, in most cases to much water. Either in the mix or the clean up. I find that all joints need to be bone dry prior to grouting. I'm sure you've heard this a million times though, don't know what else to tell ya. That 600 stuff is a keeper.
scott anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2005, 07:08 PM   #5
pitterpat
Bathroom Remodels and Schluterville Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott anthony
Hard to say, the only thing that come me when I hear Whitish grout is efflorescence. I well admired fella here helped me with one job I did. He told me to use Sure Clean 600. And dam that stuff is kick ass. You need to call the corp and find the nearest distributor. That's providing it's efflorescence.
Oh and if I haven't said it Thanks Todd
Now what is causing this hmmmm, in most cases to much water. Either in the mix or the clean up. I find that all joints need to be bone dry prior to grouting. I'm sure you've heard this a million times though, don't know what else to tell ya. That 600 stuff is a keeper.
Also could be something in his water. i think we had a thread on here about too much of some mineral in some people's water and it caused efflorescence. I think some people use that special water (can't remember the name...the kind people use like in their iron...you know what I mean ) Crap I hate that when I have a brain fade like that....I think you know what I mean about the "special" water.
pitterpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2005, 08:09 PM   #6
Bri
The Ditra Kid

Yes, you'll have to wait until the grout is hard before you attempt to scrub it.....unless you want to grout it again tomorrow?

“The world is a tangled up necklace of pearls"
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2005, 08:55 PM   #7
chukar8

distilled water??
Unread 11-12-2005, 12:31 AM   #8
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Dustin,
I'm curious as to how long the Tec grout set before before wiping.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2005, 08:14 AM   #9
BroNeilson

Hey, I'll have to try the vinegar and water to see what happens. So if it is efflorescence, Sure Clean 600 will take care of that? pitterpat - I think I know what thread your talking about I did a search before I made this thread and I sounded like the same problem. And it probably was about 10 minutes, before I started doing my first rinse, I usually just watch it setup where I first started grouting, Ill touch a grout line to see how hard or soft it is. I mixed it fairly stiff, but not too stiff, still was easy to work with, since it was a small area. Had enough time to wash my grout floor and trowel. And after looking at it this morning Ill have to say its worse then when I took the pics, its even brighter really strange, the job itself looks really good, I mean grouts flush with the tile, all the lines are smooth, but the whole floor has this uniform bright white.
thanks for all the help so far.
Unread 11-12-2005, 08:37 AM   #10
scott anthony
Tile Man -- Central Florida

As far as the Sure Clean speak with there reps and take it from there. It's one of the my top 5 findings here.
scott anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2005, 06:09 PM   #11
jonka

I usually wait about 45 minutes to an hour before i clean. and i wouldnt call it a rinse - more like a fairly dry rub. i have found the longer you wait and the less water you use the more uniform the joints will be.
jonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2005, 09:04 PM   #12
pitterpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by chukar8
distilled water??
Yeah, distilled water!
Unread 11-12-2005, 09:07 PM   #13
pitterpat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroNeilson
Hey, I'll have to try the vinegar and water to see what happens. So if it is efflorescence, Sure Clean 600 will take care of that? pitterpat - I think I know what thread your talking about I did a search before I made this thread and I sounded like the same problem. And it probably was about 10 minutes, before I started doing my first rinse, I usually just watch it setup where I first started grouting, Ill touch a grout line to see how hard or soft it is. I mixed it fairly stiff, but not too stiff, still was easy to work with, since it was a small area. Had enough time to wash my grout floor and trowel. And after looking at it this morning Ill have to say its worse then when I took the pics, its even brighter really strange, the job itself looks really good, I mean grouts flush with the tile, all the lines are smooth, but the whole floor has this uniform bright white.
thanks for all the help so far.

Yeah, I think 10 minutes is a bit soon. Wait until you can't dent the grout at least with your finger before you start wiping.
Unread 11-13-2005, 12:38 PM   #14
BroNeilson

Ya I could bairly put a dent into the grout, I mixed it pretty stiff since the it such a small area.

jonka - Ya thats the thing, the grout lines are uniform in color no mismatch whatsoever, the problem is the grout color is completely off, thats what I'm really can't understand, but the whole floor itself is just has this uniform white color. It isn't like a you tell if some might have not rinsed it properly in a couple spots and theirs a slight lightness or darkness in a joint, its just a completely different color.

My parents have their own well, and there is a alot of iron in the water, could more then normal iron in the water do this?
Unread 11-16-2005, 12:20 PM   #15
BroNeilson

Thought I would update the pictures after the grout has fully dried now, and also a pic of the other grout job I was talking about with the homedepot grout.

1st bathroom

Notice it has the same looking white color.

The bathroom I just finished.

hmmmmm......

EDit- and both of these colors were supposed to have sandstonebeige, tan like color.

Last edited by BroNeilson; 11-16-2005 at 12:57 PM.
BroNeilson is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase