Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-15-2021, 08:13 AM   #1
cataan

Shower floor tile selection

Hello,

I am having a shower built and the floor will be 2x2 porcelain mosaic tile with epoxy grout lines. Curious about opinions on the finish of the tile. My choices are:

1) Through body porcelain with natural finish - very durable and slip resistant, but even though it can be scrubbed it's likely to build up mineral deposits from water over time as they accumulate in the micro pores or undulations in the surface.

2) Matt finish porcelain - my preference for slip resistance and cleanability, but the tile I really like from an appearance standpoint is not available in matte.

3) Polished porcelain - the tile I like (appearance-wise) only comes in a polished finish, but though I prefer its appearance over all others, slipperiness is a big concern. It's 2"x2" so the grout lines help provide grip, but I'm not sure given that there will be running water (it's a shower after all) if it's enough to counteract the slippery (especially with water) finish.

Has anyone used a shower with polished 2x2 tiles? Thoughts would be appreciated!
Unread 07-15-2021, 08:25 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, Clayton.

I would eliminate #3 from your list. If you think #1 will be difficult from a staining/cleaning standpoint, just wait 'till you try the polished porcelain.

1,2. From a non-slip standpoint, I doubt you'll not much difference in a shower floor application. Wet tile is slippery. All wet tile is slippery. The 2x2 mosaic size gives you a lot of grout joints to help alleviate that aspect of the tile floor. Good to have a tile surface that is a bit less slippery if you can get it, but it's the small size that will help you the most.

The aesthetic aspect is best decided by Mrs. Clayton if there is one available.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2021, 08:41 AM   #3
cataan

Thanks CX

Thanks. No Mrs. Clayton but maybe one day. Good to know about cleaning the polished tile I mistakenly thought it'd be easy to clean (it's an off-white color with some beige and gray in it). The shower is going to be kerdi board walls, kerdi pre-fab pan, porcelain tile, epoxy grout. Going all out on the water proofing. My current shower has matte 2x2s with epoxy grout and I've never had any issues with slipping and the slope is actually slightly greater than the usual 1/4" per 10 feet (it's 3/8" per 10 feet). In fact, most acrylic bath tubs (without grip strips) are *significantly* more slippery.

Leaving aside any cleaning issues, given the grout lines for the 2x2s, any experience with whether matte or polished provides any difference with slipperiness?
Unread 07-17-2021, 06:38 AM   #4
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Clayton,

No experience with polished porcelain on a shower floor but my roughly 2"X2" matte finished porcelain shower floor, also with epoxy grout, has proven to just fine, no issue with being slippery. I suspect any a 2"X2" tile, in any finish, will be about the same.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase