Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-26-2005, 12:01 PM   #1
Kanukshowerguy

Details to finish around shower drain

Hi all, ALmost done. Just starting to tile my floor in the shower and I realized I have not read a lot about how to finish around the drain. It is a clamp drain with weep holes and I currently have the top portion out of the drain (not screwed in) I am planning on cutting 12 x 12 floor tiles into 6" squares for the floor.

Questions:
1. Best way to cut tiles to fit around drain? I plan to use nippers but not sure how neat I can be.

2. What to use around drain when done? I assume grout but am not sure.
Should I screw the drain in to the correct height and then set the tiles?

3. I used 1/4 space for the 12" tile on the walls should the space be the same for 6" tile on the floor?

4. Should the drain be able to be removed (screwed in out) when done?

I am working on this right now so any quick hit answers are appreciated if possible.

THANKS

Kelly
Kanukshowerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-26-2005, 12:37 PM   #2
NVC
Tile Contractor -- Napa, CA.

1. I can’t be that neat with nippers, but maybe I’m a bad nipper. I would draw out the cut on the tile and on the wet saw cut to the line every 1/8th inch (approx) so it looks like little teeth perpendicular to your line. These break off pretty easy, then ‘sculpt’ the remaining ‘nubbys’ (for lack of a better vocabulary) with the wet-saw to your line. Others might use a better technique, stay tuned.

2. I’ve seen the guys here float the floor to the drain height, minus the thickness of the tile, or a hair proud of it (i.e. the drain grill is slightly 1/16 - 1/32 lower than the finished surrounding tile.

3. Personal preference here. I would prefer smaller joints just from a cleaning stand-point, and the tiles set on a diagonal so you don’t have to match grout joints coming off the walls.

4. The two piece drains are ‘tiled-in’ and cannot be removed after floated/tiled.

Mark
NVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2005, 06:59 PM   #3
Kanukshowerguy

Thanks for your speedy reply Mark!, I took your advice and the cut out around the shower drain looks great.

I'll post some update pictures again soon.

Kelly
Kanukshowerguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase