Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-03-2005, 08:29 AM   #1
Apex_Ace

Mud shower base Vs. Acrylic base

Hello all!

I just found this site and it has a ton of great information. The questions I have are about a choice I am trying to make. I have to redo a 60x34 shower, and I love the look of a mud style tile base, but the acrylic pre-formed base might be better for a do-it-yourselfer? A top brand acrylic base sells for close to $700.00-what would an estimate be for the materials for a tile mud base? I have done tile and grout with good success before but feel I might be over my head on the tile mud style .

Thanks,

Jeff
Apex_Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-03-2005, 08:33 AM   #2
bbcamp

Materials-wise, you can't beat a custon made mud pan. You might spend $100, not counting the tile.

Sand topping mix is fairly cheap, so why not buy a bag or 2, mix it up and practice on a mock-up form made of scrap plywood and 2x4s? If you don't like it after that, then shop for a pre-formed base. Either way, we'll help you get it built.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2005, 08:37 AM   #3
Arn
Oregon Tile Guy

Mud work is it! I really havnt seen a transition between tile and fiberglass that looks great. For the fact you are here asking the question tells me you need to mud it! you wont be sorry.

best of luck!

~Mind over Mortar
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2005, 08:37 AM   #4
jgleason
Retired Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

Hi and welcome aboard Jeff.

If it were me, I wouldn't use the acrylic base, mainly because I don't like the look of them. You will save some money by going with a mud bed but it is more work, check out the Liberry for specifics. I built a Kerdi shower, you can find out more about using Kerdi by going to Schluter's Web Site . I highly recommend it for a DIYer.
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2005, 10:36 AM   #5
TJ

If you do decide to go with a preformed base, John's book recommends swanstone ones instead of a top brand acrylic. We got one and are very pleased with it.

Faucet.com has them. You can find them with advanced search with category - shower base and manufacturer - swanstone.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2005, 09:31 PM   #6
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Welcome aboard, Jeff.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2005, 01:52 PM   #7
Apex_Ace

Thanks for the information everyone! Can anybody estimate the weight difference in a 60x32 shower between the Kurdi system bed and a mud bed? This bathroom is on the second floor of a 60 year old house. I'm a little concerned about weight.

Thanks,

Jeff
Apex_Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2005, 04:13 PM   #8
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

My uneducated guess is that the Kerdi pan would be 3-400 pounds less. 3-bags of mud? plus some sand?
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2005, 04:27 PM   #9
trecile

I did a Kerdi shower with a mud pan, but if I had the dimensions of your shower I would have used the Kerdi tray instead of mud. http://tile-experts.com/products.asp?id=53
Unread 04-05-2005, 05:26 PM   #10
don metzinger

I just finished my mud base in my 3x4 shower and it went very well thanks to the advice from this site. I will be doing a masonary bench tomorrow. It wasn't as difficult as I thought it might be. Don
don metzinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase