Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-31-2021, 06:04 AM   #16
ragtop69gs

After speaking with both Custom and Mapei tech support folks I've decided that the Mapei Ultra Color FA is the best choice for my grouting. I'll do a test board applying with a grout bag some time this weekend and report back with results.

Patriot Guard Rider
http://www.patriotguard.org/

'69 Buick GS400
'47 Diamond T 509

"We have been doing so much with so little for so long, pretty soon we will be able to do everything with nothing."
ragtop69gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2021, 07:32 AM   #17
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

As far as timing, each grout / tile combination acts different. Many times, it's obvious the grout will firm up quickly by which tile and grout we're using, other times we know it's going to set slow. I like for the grout to firm up a little in the joint before washing, that usually takes 10-20 minutes but can take longer. Mix and spread some and keep an eye on it. Do not mix the grout runny, I tend to mix it stiffer than a lot of folks. Stiffer grout will help with such wide joints. Mix each batch the same consistency, close to peanut butter but not as runny as pancake batter. A sample board is still a good idea.

Since you plan to wash the grout down low to expose more of the stone, I'd use a rubber grout float instead of a grout bag. A bag will take forever.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2021, 09:53 AM   #18
Lou_MA

Pot life and time until first wash are both highly dependent on tile porosity, temps, how stiff the grout is mixed, etc.

I’d err on the side of caution and mix small batches until you get a feel for it. And give the entire bag of dry powder a good mix to thoroughly blend all the ingredients.
Unread 07-31-2021, 10:43 AM   #19
ragtop69gs

3:1 mix ratio by volume as per tech support for partial batch size

Patriot Guard Rider

'69 Buick GS400
'47 Diamond T 509

"We have been doing so much with so little for so long, pretty soon we will be able to do everything with nothing."
Unread 08-02-2021, 08:43 AM   #20
ragtop69gs

I've got all the tile up now and will be sealing it tomorrow. Can I grout the joint where the tile and granite slab meet, I know that changes of plane should be caulked, but in practical application will it be likely to crack if I just grout it? If I must caulk, how should I grout this while still leaving a line for a caulk joint.
Name:  wall to CT.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  63.3 KB
Name:  wall pic.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  45.3 KB
l
There is also 1 vertical intersecting wall joint .

Patriot Guard Rider

'69 Buick GS400
'47 Diamond T 509

Unread 08-02-2021, 08:55 AM   #21
cx
Moderator emeritus

If you wanted to caulk that wall/countertop joint, you would have shimmed your stones high enough to accommodate that, Jay. Doesn't look as though that's the case.

Difficult enough to grout what you've got there, 'specially in the manner that Mrs. Jay prefers, and I would be inclined to pay no attention to that joint in your case. Just attempt to grout successfully and call it a day. When it cracks, you're not likely to notice. The crack is likely to allow water to pass through when the top gets wet and you'll need to be perhaps a bit more cautious than otherwise. Not using a flexible sealant at that joint is not correct according to industry standards. I'd smile and say, "Yes, I understand." See my warranty information below.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2021, 09:52 AM   #22
ragtop69gs

That is also what i was thinking, but in spite of how the picture looks, there is a small space between the rock and countertop so there is room for caulk, but with the large voids to fill in spots I wasn't quite sure how to grout then while still leaving space for a caulk joint.
That exterior wall is 2x6 well insulated wall cavities with a 1" foam sheet on the exterior , covered with T-111. There is no noticeable heat or cold transfer from the outside so it does lessen my concern about grouting the plane change. Here in N.W. South Carolina below freezing cold snaps in the winter normally don't last longer than a few hours.

Patriot Guard Rider

'69 Buick GS400
'47 Diamond T 509

Unread 08-02-2021, 10:23 AM   #23
ragtop69gs

That is also what i was thinking, but in spite of how the picture looks, there is a small space between the rock and countertop so there is room for caulk, but with the large voids to fill in spots I wasn't quite sure how to grout then while still leaving space for a caulk joint.
That exterior wall is 2x6 well insulated wall cavities with a 1" foam sheet on the exterior , covered with T-111. There is no noticeable heat or cold transfer from the outside so it does lessen my concern about grouting the plane change. Here in N.W. South Carolina below freezing cold snaps in the winter normally don't last longer than a few hours.

Patriot Guard Rider

'69 Buick GS400
'47 Diamond T 509

Unread 08-02-2021, 10:25 AM   #24
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay
I wasn't quite sure how to grout then while still leaving space for a caulk joint.
Me, too.

Customarily, I'd use strips of cardboard or similar to hold that grout space with irregular "tiles" such as you've got, but I'm not seeing that working well in your case. Well, I see the gapping working, but not the caulking.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2021, 06:03 PM   #25
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I've used cardboard also but not with pebbles.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase