Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 04-23-2021, 01:04 AM   #1
a&oshow

Finding a Saltillo Sealer Soulmate!

Hello! Been having fun cruising the archive this evening! What a wealth of knowledge y’all have built.

My partner and I just bought our first home out here in the California High Desert, and I could use some help figuring out the right materials for our DIY Saltillo install:

I — like many before me — am looking for a great indoor Saltillo Tile sealer! We’re doing our test tiles and nothing seems quite right. Here are some qualities we’re looking for:
  • Protects the tile in high-traffic areas
  • Not too complicated to use (the s/o is very handy, but everybody has their limits)
  • Enhances the color, to take the tiles from peach -> warm terra cotta. Pix of the desired result attached.

We tried Glaze 'n Seal Olé Mexican Sealer which checked off the first two boxes but didn’t enhance the color. Based on my digging through the forms so far, for color enhancing we might need a solvent-based sealer… which sounds complicated to use!

Is there something out there that would check all the boxes? Has anyone tried the Behr Wet-Look Sealer?

Or perhaps there’s a two-step process that would enhance + seal?

Any other advice or recommendations very much appreciated.

Thanks so much for your help!
Attached Images

Unread 04-23-2021, 09:57 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Odie,

I finished a few of my own jobs years ago. The process entails using a penetrating sealer first and then going over it with a top (surface) sealer. The products I used back then probably aren't available anymore, but I remember using Thompsons Water Sealer for the first application.

I eventually started using a pro floor finisher, and he used acrylic materials. Don't know any more than that. The last Saltillo job I did was more than 30 years ago.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2021, 06:13 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Many years ago we used topical sealers on Saltillo. One was called Rez, which is a polyurethane made by Pittsburgh paints. Others were Stone Glamor and Mex Seal, both made by Sparks.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase