Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-29-2021, 02:28 PM   #106
MTy

Thanks Phil! My local floor and decor stocks it and it's conveniently on the way home from work.

I did get my vanity installed last weekend. Nice to finally be putting in some of the finishings!
Attached Images

Unread 05-15-2021, 04:09 PM   #107
MTy

PSA: Kerdi board cuts very well on a table saw. Leaves a cleaner cut than using a razor knife.
Unread 05-15-2021, 05:14 PM   #108
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric, Post #103
In his post cx mentions "medium bed mortars" and I thought I remember him mentioning in one thread that medium bed mortars don't technically exist.
Post you referenced was from 2011, Eric, and Medium Bed Mortar did exist then. The Industry recognized (led by our own Dave Gobis) that such a term could lead people to believe there was a medium-bed method of setting tiles along with the thin-bed method, which was not correct. The official Identification of such mortars was then changed to Large & Heavy Tile Mortar. You'll still find some manufacturers referring to Medium Bed, but some now just add a parenthetical note (formerly Medium Bed) with their description. One day the term is likely to be forgotten by all but the more stubborn old people. Not that I'd know about that sort of thing, of course.

As for cutting Hardiebacker on a table saw......... Yeah, it'll work, but it's murder on saw blades and the dust is no friend of the other moving parts of your saw. There are blades specifically made for cutting CBU, and more specifically Hardiebacker, usually sized for hand-held circular saws, but that still doesn't protect the saw.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2021, 05:35 PM   #109
MTy

Thanks for the info on the mortar.

FYI, I mentioned that Kerdi board cuts well on a table saw. (So no one reading in the future gets confused.)

I agree I'd never cut any form of cement style board on a table saw, even with a wet/dry blade, for the reasons you mentioned. My saw is an old Delta Rockwell purchased new by my grandfather in 1954. Definitely no plans to trash it, haha.
Unread 05-15-2021, 06:24 PM   #110
cx
Moderator emeritus

Clearly you did say KerdiBoard and not Hardiebacker. My apologies.

Unread 05-22-2021, 06:26 PM   #111
MTy

Getting closer and closer to being able to start tiling! Got my shower pan fixed so I will be putting the kerdi on the pan tomorrow. Also finishing up the area around the tub so it is ready for tile. The tub is not a shower. Some questions.

1. Using versabond, will kerdi membrane adhere to yellow pine (2x4s) and plywood? I've got some areas in my tub niches where I don't have enough clearance for some custom handmade tiles if I use kerdiboard or CBU.

1a. One option, if that won't work is to use 1/4" CBU but another to buy or I could use some ditra, which I know can be adhered to wood?

2. How much space do y'all leave for grout joints in handmade ceramic tile? I know the joints aren't going to all be even given the tile and I do plan on using spacers. This answer may affect the amount of space I have available.

2a. Would I want to leave more than 1/8" for expansion joints because the tiles are handmade?
Unread 05-22-2021, 10:07 PM   #112
cx
Moderator emeritus

1,1a. You should read the manufacturer's instructions for installing the Kerdi, Eric, particularly the part about suitable substrates. You'll not find dimension wood listed there. Same would apply to the Ditra. The Ditra can be installed over the plywood, but not the Kerdi.

Can you bond the Kerdi to those substrates? Of course you can. Will the tile installation be long-term successful? The manufacturer doesn't think so. Entirely up to you.

2. The minimum required by the ceramic tile industry is 1/16th" and the recommendation is for three times the difference between the largest and smallest tiles of the same nominal size in the installation.

2a. I see no difference in how the tiles were made in that requirement.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 05-28-2021, 07:59 AM   #113
MTy

I've got a couple small creases in my kerdi band on the shower pan I didn't notice. My plan was to slit them with some scissors so they lie flat and then put kerdi's pookie on them. Is this a good plan?
Unread 05-28-2021, 11:14 AM   #114
pls

If it was me I would use kerdi band and use a large enough patch to be 2in from the cut on all sides.
Unread 05-28-2021, 12:49 PM   #115
MTy

That's my backup plan but wondering if I can get away with the kerdifix to avoid additional buildup of the kerdi.
Unread 05-29-2021, 08:24 AM   #116
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
How long them creases be, Eric, and where on the pan be they in relation to the drain?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2021, 09:22 AM   #117
MTy

Wish I had a closeup but no access to my shower until Monday. The area around the red circle is where the creases are. 1 is about an inch in towards the curb before it's completely bonded. The other two are 1/4 inch or less.
Attached Images

Unread 05-30-2021, 07:22 AM   #118
ss3964spd

Given their length and location I'd not have any problem slicing them, squeezing some Kerdi Fix under them, pressing them down - perhaps with a weight on top to hold them down until the KF sets, then smearing a bit more KF over them.

IMO, natch.
Unread 06-02-2021, 05:15 PM   #119
MTy

Tiling Qs

Thanks Dan. I ended going with the Kerdifix and will find out this weekend when I do the flood test whether it worked.

1. I will be installing 2 x 2 inch porcelain mosaic tile on my shower floor. Will a 1/4 x 1/4 square notch trowel be sufficient?

2. I've got a bit of a complicated tile layout to deal with. I'm using 4x12 tiles and I have to run tile across a shower knee wall, two shower walls, behind the toilet into the tub alcove and the three alcove walls. I have 3 niches and a window to tile around as well.

I have a roll of brown paper and I am thinking the best way to plan the layout might be to cut several pieces the total length of the walls I need to span and mark on the paper the corners, niches, etc. I can then lay the tile down with spacers to figure out the best layout.

Any other/better suggestions?
Unread 06-03-2021, 06:49 AM   #120
ss3964spd

Yeah, Eric, the 1/4" square notch trowel should work well for those 2"X2" mosaics, assuming they're at least 1/4" thick. I used the same trowel with my 2X2 mosaics, worked well, but they were 3/8" thick.

As far as the layout; one look at my shower would suggest I'm not the guy to ask. Safe to say, though, that given what you have you'll have to make compromises somewhere. Using the brown paper might help catch glaring challenges.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase