Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-20-2021, 08:13 AM   #1
stinger536

New type of tile for me. Where and how to start?

So my wife bought this tile for a new kitchen backsplash. There are no straight sides to these sheets and many very small diamonds. Do I have to cut at least one, or two or even three sides to put this stuff up or am I missing something? I've done a fair amount of tile work, but it's always been square or rectangular not like this.
Thanks
Attached Images

Unread 08-20-2021, 08:33 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Bob.

You're not missing anything.

You're really fond of this wife, yes?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2021, 11:37 AM   #3
stinger536

LOL. If I screw this up I'll have to re-think the last 50 years!
So, I do have to cut those little diamonds in half and hope that the saw doesn't spit them across my lawn?
Unread 08-20-2021, 12:26 PM   #4
MTy

Not a pro but I had shower floor tile that wouldnt cut well on the saw without breaking. So I made something like the device in this thread. https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=72022

It worked because it kept the tile from moving, but don't know if it will help with those diamonds.
Unread 08-20-2021, 12:31 PM   #5
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

You may find that the adhesive holding that face mounted sheet uses water soluble glue. Wet saw will not be your friend. If that's true and from where I stand, I might deem this a designer's dream and a tiler's nightmare.

I've made plywood carriages so tile could be quickly cut then set aside to dry out some. One of the problems is you're largely blind setting with face mounted sheet.

Have dozens of bitty tile wedges on hand. I suspect you'll need them.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2021, 12:34 PM   #6
stinger536

Thanks, Eric
The tile that I have is marble so it is much softer than glass. Does your set up keep the sheets from squirreling around as you try to cut a straight line?
Unread 08-20-2021, 01:11 PM   #7
MTy

My tiles are porcelain and are not mesh backed but dot set, so the answer is yes but I don't know how it would do with yours. I suspect it would hold the ones on the clamped side just fine. But the tiles that aren't clamped might move... Don't know enough to say for sure either way.
Unread 08-20-2021, 07:39 PM   #8
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

You need to cut it and determine if it will hold up. Most of what is manufactured now holds together but not all. If it’s a issue I leave them wrapped in plastic(I’m assuming that’s how the came) when cutting to keep from getting too wet. I wouldn’t expect the little diamonds to shoot out, crumble is a possibility.
Unread 08-20-2021, 10:50 PM   #9
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

If possible, I’d mount full sheets starting at the countertop and cut the triangles to fit afterwards.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2021, 10:18 AM   #10
smifwal

I did something similar once (the sheets had no straight lines)and boy did I under bid it. In a effort to center everything I knipped off the bottom points on the top and bottom sheets. 32 sqft I had about 600 cuts.

Have fun
Attached Images

Unread 08-24-2021, 02:11 PM   #11
Platypus

You could also try:

Put up as much sheet as possible, and when you get to the edges, cut the backing of the sheet and set as much of it as will fit in the space. Then remove the necessary tiles from the rest of the sheet, cut them individually on the saw, and then fit them in around the margins of the area after they are cut.

That way you are not putting anything in the saw that has a backing on it that you care about.
Unread 09-11-2021, 03:41 PM   #12
stinger536

So the tile is up and doesn't look bad. I have a black granite countertop so I used black silicone caulk for the seam. What a mess! The tile is black, white, black, white with white grout between every tile. I got black caulk on the white grout and it looked like hell. Got most of it cleaned off, now I need to dig out the black caulk. What are my options? go with white caulk hoping it will clean off the black marble easier or put up some kind of trim? My backsplash to counter gap is 1/8".
Unread 09-11-2021, 08:13 PM   #13
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Scrape out the black caulk using a razor blade. Mask off the granite and use white caulk.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2021, 02:26 AM   #14
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Or translucent. A light milky/translucent caulk will pick up the colors from the adjacent surfaces and visually obscure/blend them behind the bead. If interested, I’d do a little test before committing.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2021, 09:25 AM   #15
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

I think white would look weirder than the black against your black granite.

If starting from scratch, I'd make the splash to c-top transition joint as small as possible, but that ship left the harbor already, eh?

I think the translucent would be best bet. Blue Tape it off just enough to cover joint, gun caulk onto joint, smoosh-smooth-remove excess with finger. Carefully pull tape and right into trash can, box whatever, you don't want this anywhere else. Spray lightly with soapy water or Mist, drag finger ONCE to smoove edge left from tape.

This caulk is shiny, so the less the better IMHO. I also have a stack of paper towels handy which I use once and into trash, lest it get places I don't want it!
This is the stuff I use. There may be others, but I have used this specifically with good result. C-top guy turned me on to it.

https://krayden.com/buy/dow-corning-...xi4074664.html

As suggested test first.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase