Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-04-2021, 07:55 AM   #1
jkk9

Shower layout in 7' x 3.5' space

Master bathroom is square. Used to have 5' tub and a 2' "box" under the window that was used to store firewood for the adjacent family room.
Desired shower location is 7' x 3.5 with window at one end.

I'm looking for ideas on how to 1) utilize the 7' space and 2) how to handle the wood window.

Pics show the complete bathroom and possible layout for the shower. (I also included a pix of my last shower install. Should have turned room lights off.)

I could do a large bench under the window and include the 2nd rain head shown? I guess a 7'x3.5' base requires a mud install? Never did one ...

Also considering a linear drain - haven't done one of those either.

Thanks for your input.
Attached Images

Unread 07-04-2021, 12:23 PM   #2
Kman

Welcome back, Jim.

Can you post a picture of what you have now? Sometimes pictures illustrate better than words.

Are you wanting to keep the wood box?

Did I understand correctly that the window is wood-framed?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2021, 01:32 PM   #3
jkk9

Pic shows what was there. The box is now gone and not wanted. The window is wood.
Attached Images

Unread 07-04-2021, 05:00 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'd make a pony wall that's a few inches higher than the countertop and extends out a little past the cabinet. Then you can build a seat on that end if you want. Keep in mind, the more rain hats you have, the wetter the window will get.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2021, 07:11 AM   #5
jkk9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy
I'd make a pony wall that's a few inches higher than the countertop and extends out a little past the cabinet.
I like that idea. I also think I'll use Kerdi here since I can trim the end and sides of their 72x48 tray and their 48" bench to fit the space. It's kind of pricey but time seems to be more important here. I'll get some experience in a linear drain if I put it under the controls.
Unread 07-05-2021, 07:55 AM   #6
Kman

The tray is a different discussion, but I wouldn't spend the money on a bench just to cut it up. I would frame it up with 2x's and cover it with sheetrock.

You can make the top slope like it needs to be, and set the height exactly where you want. The foam bench has no slope.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2021, 12:23 PM   #7
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Welcome back, Jim,

Agreed with the pony wall. I did the same. Size it right and you can build a niche into it for shampoos and body washes while keeping them outta sight.

My shower is almost exactly the same size as your proposed shower. I can confidently say that if you eliminate the 2nd rain head you will get no water on the window at all. From my own experience a bench that far away (under your window) will mostly be used to put stuff on, but not likely ones' rear end since it'll be A) cold and B) too far from warm water. So it is with mine. I used 2 corner benches so the other is just under the fixed shower head. Though I sloped the tops of both my benches the one at the far end only sees water when it needs to be cleaned off or from wet feet.

If you are not trying to do a curbless shower skip the foam tray, a mud bed is your best bet for that size shower.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase