Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 10-19-2018, 01:05 PM   #1
dnewell84

Cleaning/sealing unfinished colored concrete

Hello,

I'm trying to help my dad spruce up an unfinished concrete (I think) floor. This is a post-war Spanish Mission style home. Floor is the original. There is a layer of regular concrete, then an unfinished red layer (thin) on top of that. Grooves have been routed into the top layer in order to make concrete look like stones (photo 1).

My dad said his brother (who has passed) put a sealant on once that brought out the natural red color. I called a stone and tile store who told me there was no way to do this, but that I could try a basic penetrating sealer to seal. We're not looking for a gloss necessarily, but some way to clean and spruce up the stone. Any recommendations?

Thank you!

Daniel
Attached Images

Unread 10-19-2018, 10:15 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Daniel.

Perhaps any "enhancing sealer" on the market would help you out. Almost every tile supplier and every box store (tile department) has an enhancing sealer that would likely enrich the color of the floor. Depending on the particular sealer, it would either leave the sheen of the floor untouched, or it would impart a bit of sheen. These types of sealers are generally a little on the pricey side. And if you're trying to do a whole floor like that, I imagine it's porous enough where you might need lot$ of product.

Okay, onto a possibly better idea. Now, I've never tried this product for an application like yours, but I think this might be a really good solution for you. I've used this Rejuvenate product to restore a heavily worn vinly floor that was dull and heavily scratched. If I was trying to do what you're wanting to do, this would be the first thing I'd try. I think I'd like it because it's cost effective and I think I'd like to impart some shine to the floor.

The bottle reads "1 coat", but I wouldn't rely on that. I used a small microfiber square on my hands and knees and applied 4 really thin coats. The results were nothing short of impressive. Now, I could have used one of those microfiber pad applicators and did less work. And perhaps applied less coats due to it going on heavier.....??? But no complaints from me.

The old bottle I used doesn't say it's good for anything other than vinyl. But the new bottles that are on the market now list a bunch of different surfaces including terracotta. So, I think there's a good chance it would work for you.

Please do a TEST in an inconspicuous spot before committing to the whole floor.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase