Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 02-20-2016, 04:36 PM   #1
eurob
Not...Sure

Ardex WA Epoxy Grout

It looks like Ardex came out with availability for their epoxy grout in all colors of their color grout chart and from what I've been told it is quite easy to use , from application to final wash process .

I am most interested to know if it is safe to use with natural stones -- hands on experience if possible -- and if picture frame could be an issue . As with any product , the so eternal '' do a small test '' is necessary , but I am interested in field applications and experiences .

Thanks for sharing them .

There was something here but is no longer available
eurob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-20-2016, 06:39 PM   #2
T_Hulse
Tile Contractor

I've used it as a setting material for glass, and really loved it. To use it on a porous stone you would want to have premium epoxy experience & skills at avoiding haze/shine.
Cleanup, pot life, workability were all good compared to other epoxies, but it does have the typical epoxy habit of being a little stiff to apply but then loosening up a bit after it is set, which is why you can't use many of them at more than 1/4" notch trowel, they'll sag. I don't think I would be comfortable setting most full size stone tile with it if you have high standards for lippage; or unless your floors & stone are so perfect that you are comfortable with 1/4" notch; or unless maybe this is a stone mosaic job?
I really doubt picture frame would be an issue with this one, but you could verify that with Ardex.
Btw, "easy to use" might be going a little far, perhaps only in relation to other epoxies.
Unread 02-21-2016, 09:19 AM   #3
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

Picture framing is possible with epoxy grout on all light marbles and light colored travertine. I don't see how this would be different.
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa, Florida installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdiboard waterproofed showers
Tampa, Florida installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan board waterproofed showers
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2016, 09:30 AM   #4
eurob
Not...Sure

@ Tom ,

Thanks . I was more interested in using it for grouting applications , not stone installations . The '' easy to use '' is of course comparing with the others . From their video demo , it looks easy and from what I hear , there is no stickiness from it .

@ Brian ,

Thanks . It is why I was asking . Hands on experience is best proof of what is happening in the field . I've seen cement grouts leave a not so pronounced picture frame on the stones mentioned .

I will definitely talk to their rep and see what they recommend , other than what you could find in theirs literature .

Unfortunately , the field experience goes beyond a recommendation and is equally important , a must know IMO .

TIA.

Unread 02-28-2016, 09:44 AM   #5
Chad Deiter Company
Making Cents of It All

Send a message via Yahoo to Chad Deiter Company
A little off topic but I had the chance to use some of the Ardex thin sets last week on a job. Specifically the x77 and x5. Both were very good and I was impressed.
Unread 02-29-2016, 01:31 PM   #6
T_Hulse
Tile Contractor

Roberto, please report back how it went for you, I'm really curious how it does as grout, especially on walls, where I'm a little concerned about sagging out.

Chad, me too! How did you find the working time, a little less than average?
Unread 02-29-2016, 06:36 PM   #7
Chad Deiter Company
Making Cents of It All

Seemed pretty normal to me Tom. I use a lot of Laticrete and the x77 had the feel of the 4Xlt or the 255 to me. I'm interested in trying the liquid backer board they have out.
Unread 03-01-2016, 05:50 AM   #8
tilemanct
Tile & Stone

You will love the LBB from Ardex. The only problem with a Ardex is distribution. They just don't get it. The distributor for my area is really a carpet supply company. Not a real tile distributor.

CTEF Certified Installer
I lost my hero on 5-21-16 You will be missed. Semper Fi
tilemanct is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2016, 07:56 AM   #9
Chad Deiter Company
Making Cents of It All

Yah Dave I don't know anyone that stocks Ardex near me.
Unread 03-01-2016, 11:19 AM   #10
T_Hulse
Tile Contractor

I loved LBB, but I'm still to scared to trust it without a membrane or even lath like they say you can.

Dave I have the same distribution complaint for my area! They're the very farthest away from the metropolitan center in our state (opposite end from me of course) of all the tile distributors. I would use their products if they had decent distribution.
Unread 03-13-2016, 02:50 PM   #11
hallt

eurob

Ardex epoxy is safe to use with natural stone. As always, you should do a test first just in case. As far as sagging. No worries there! It is very good in that aspect.

Ardex Technical Field Rep.
Tile & Stone Installation Systems
California and Nevada

www.ardexamericas.com
hallt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2016, 08:31 AM   #12
eurob
Not...Sure

hallt,

Thank you . However , I thought that before the epoxy is rated safe for natural stone , the research dept. is doing all the tests with all known sensitive natural stones , meaning , the unnecessary need of testing the epoxy for each project.

IOW, it is safe to use or it is safe after it is tested . Relying on our judgement doesn't necessary makes it safe due to , sometimes , size of the project. If '' problematic '' stones are mixed with all the others , safe becomes a variable , not a constant . Thanks for the clarification .

Maybe I should stick with a safer approach in using the FH or the FG-C for stones and mosaic stones .

Unread 05-06-2016, 07:50 PM   #13
eurob
Not...Sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
Roberto, please report back how it went for you, I'm really curious how it does as grout, especially on walls, where I'm a little concerned about sagging out.
Tom , I did try it on a marble mosaic floor . It is a good product , mixing it is great , spreading it is great , washing it is pretty easy -- as per this video -- and next day a little nano scrub did the trick . I think it stains -- picture frame -- the natural stone , but did not try it on a naked stone . We did seal the mosaic before and epoxy after . It did the trick .

I don't see any issues for walls application . The epoxy has a great consistency and there was no sag observed for the floor application . It does spread great -- no '' stickiness '' as others -- and it cures quite hard -- not soft the next day -- , even if left outside at about 10, 12 degrees Celsius over night per 14 hours period. Color consistency through out the floor is also a plus . Over all I think you should try it , you may like it.

Unread 08-13-2017, 03:16 PM   #14
eurob
Not...Sure

Epoxy grout for one person installation

Can't deny it . I am an epoxy grouting guy. See many benefits -- long term -- , and this grout -- Ardex WA epoxy -- is great for one single person installation . I also like the benefit of hardening fast and almost no stickiness after washing it ( do wash the next day 'cause the ocd kicks in ) .

Full joints with easiness .

Name:  Porcelain & epoxy WA 005.jpg
Views: 1141
Size:  30.0 KB

Name:  Porcelain & epoxy WA 004 - 1.jpg
Views: 1153
Size:  26.0 KB

Name:  Porcelain & epoxy WA 046.jpg
Views: 1132
Size:  33.0 KB

Unread 08-16-2017, 11:15 PM   #15
John Corley

WA is one of my favorite products.

Full disclosure, I'm an Ardex rep. But I was a contractor/installer for 19 years.

Glad to hear you are liking WA.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase