Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-07-2021, 07:07 AM   #1
donnbialik

Tiling over GoBoard with Pro Sealant

Question: Has anyone contacted JM regarding the adhesion properties of their Pro Sealant product? I'm wondering if I thinset a 3x6 subway tile over a major seam where there is a 2" band of pro sealant (so the entire back of the tile is over pro sealant) how much holding power it actually has. Does this make sense?
Unread 06-07-2021, 09:18 PM   #2
BIGPHIL

Donn,
Yep, makes sense. I've not used the Go Board pro sealant, but from reading the datasheet on it, it seems a lot like the Wedi joint sealant (both are moisture curing , silyl modified polymers), which I am familiar with. That said, thinset doesn't adhere to it all that great. If I recall correctly, the Wedi documentation says to be careful not to allow half the width or so of a tile to span a sealant joint (like your situation). I believe JB did a test years ago (in the libbery somewhere) with Kerdi--Fix and bonding tile to it with thinset. I believe the conclusion was that it does hold, but don't make it a habit and it doesn't bond as well as other substrates.
Sounds like you'll have an inch of substrate left for the thinset mortar to bond to. I'd be tempted to just tile it as is. The grout should also help lock it all together too. The only other option I see would be to lay the tiles on that seem with a bed of the sealant, but that could get expensive.
Unread 06-23-2021, 08:19 PM   #3
donnbialik

What should I use to fill gap under shower niche shelf?

Quick question in hopes of reaching consensus.

The client changed the tile for the shower stall (different dimensions). Of course, the bottom shelf now sits in a weird place for tile, so my plan is to raise the bottom of the shelf up so that I can get a full row of tile under shelf.....without cutting tile. See pic. It will make sense.

My question is what should I use to fill the space now?

It's about an inch. I was going to use two sheets of goboard but I'd have to go buy another full sheet. I was thinking of just setting those two tiles, and after they set, next day back fill gap with regular mortar.

Good idea? Any other thoughts?
Attached Images

Unread 06-23-2021, 08:30 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Donn, it'll help if you'll keep all your project questions on one thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. A moderator can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn
...next day back fill gap with regular mortar.
Depends upon what you mean by "regular mortar."

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2021, 10:12 AM   #5
donnbialik

Update on gap problem

Thanks for the advice. I bit the bullet and just bought a sheet of goboard to I could add two 1/2" sheets of it which built up the shelf perfectly. I went against the mortar mix build up idea because JM recommended using their product (Of course). But I wanted to avoid voiding the warranty.
Attached Images

Unread 06-25-2021, 10:18 AM   #6
donnbialik

additional follow up on original post

I contacted technical support from JM regarding the adhesive strength of placing a small dimension tile over the pro sealant. They stated that their is no minimum required amount of the gray goboard surface that the tile back needs to make contact with. They said if I was to coat the whole sheet of goboard, if installed per ANSI tile spandards, they would make a bond that passed all current standards.

However, in the future I will likely not use GoBoard as a substrate for tile jobs using very small tiles.
Unread 06-29-2021, 04:34 PM   #7
supafobb

Hi Donn,
I've had similar concerns about the bond strength of thinset over their Pro Sealant. I'm about to install GoBoard in a newly-gutted bathroom. I did, however, come across GoBoard's Seam Fabric, which you can find on Amazon. According to their directions, you spread out the pro sealant so that it's 3" wide, and cover it with the seam fabric. Since it's made out of very fine fiberglass, I imagine it'll give a nice bonding substrate for the thinset. Also, it could also benefit from accidentally scraping the sealant with the trowel.

I know it's already too late, but I wanted to suggest buying a sheet of hardibacker or durock instead to fill that large gap. You'd have lots of waste, but it's half the price of a sheet of GoBoard.
Unread 07-14-2021, 11:04 AM   #8
donnbialik

Finished this one.

Finished this one. Moving on to two more. Considering using the GoBoard wedges to make pre-sloped shower pan. Anyone done this with JM's point drain system?

Looks like the fastest easy system on the market to me.
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase