Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 07-28-2010, 12:17 PM   #1
cdbrehm

dark and dingy look on slate

Hello,

After installing my slate floor I used a Stonetech color enhancer ($200/gallon) that I now very much regret. The worst effect of it was that it made the stone very dark, much more than I expected, and dull looking. To combat this effect, I used a Stonetech High-gloss Finishing Sealer. This helped. Because the color enhancer made the slate so dark, I have to use a high-gloss sealer or I end up with a floor that is very dark AND dull/dingy looking, especially in natural sunlight. In fact the biggest problem is that this high-gloss sealer isn't glossy enough. It looks good right after sealing, but even in no-traffic areas, after maybe a few months, it turns dull and lackluster.

Why is that, I wonder? Why does the finishing sealer turn dull even in areas that get no traffic?

Seeing as that I can't undo the color enhancer--I got rotten advice from a local tile company about this product--how best can I remedy the dark and dingy look? I want the tile to pop.
Unread 07-28-2010, 12:43 PM   #2
StoneTooling
Vending Machine

That's a tough predicament because usually an enhancer is what's recommended to get the color to pop. Before using any product that will affect the long term appearance of an installation, make sure you test in small areas. We are one of the largest StoneTech sellers in the area and if a customer has doubts, we send them home with a 2oz bottle to try it out.

Also, 200/gallon is a lot. I'm assuming this was the solvent based product but check around online. We sell the Enhancer Pro (solvent base) for 149/gallon and we have extremely knowledgeable sales people.

http://www.stonetechdirect.com/servl...-Pro%2C/Detail

StoneTooling Now shipping internationally!

Visit us and purchase through the sponsored link at the bottom of the page to support the JB forums!

Contractors - send us your information to be listed on our contractor page.
StoneTooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2010, 05:51 PM   #3
GeorgeT
StoneTech Rep

Send a message via ICQ to GeorgeT
cdbrehm -

Changing the color of natural material such as slates can be a difficult issue and testing is always recommended to get an idea of the final appearance of the stone.
StoneTech's Finishing Sealers are not designed to be applied over other products and this may be the cause of the short lifespan; because of the pre-existing sealer the Finishing Sealer cannot bond properly to the stone surface. Typically, surface adhesion issues turn cloudy or milky and sometimes peel off. This is most likely why your topical does not last.
Until the Enhancer Pro wears out topical products may not be an option......
http://www.stonetechpro.com/
GeorgeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 01:26 PM   #4
cdbrehm

Thanks for the replies.

I actually emailed Dupont and a rep there specifically told me that it was fine to install this water-based finishing sealer over the solvent -based color enhancer. Strange.

If I have to wait for the color enhancer to wear off I think I'll be waiting a very long time as I had to installed several coats of it so that it wouldn't appear blotchy due to difference in absorption in the stone.

The finishing sealer adheres fine to the color enhancer, no flaking, no obvious milkiness. It looks great right after install and then gradually turns dull, loses its luster pretty quickly.

Are there no high-gloss sealers that can be applied to this color enhanced stone?

Thanks!
Unread 07-29-2010, 01:50 PM   #5
StoneTooling
Vending Machine

I'm not sure why a rep would tell you that. The StoneTech Enhancer Pro is a sealant. Since it is solvent based, it beads smaller than water which mean it is made to protect against water. Putting a water based product over it would not make much of an impact.

StoneTooling Now shipping internationally!

Visit us and purchase through the sponsored link at the bottom of the page to support the JB forums!

Contractors - send us your information to be listed on our contractor page.
StoneTooling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 05:58 PM   #6
cdbrehm

Is there is a solvent based high gloss finisher I could use on it instead?
Unread 07-29-2010, 08:51 PM   #7
GeorgeT
StoneTech Rep

Send a message via ICQ to GeorgeT
StoneTech Professional does not manufacture a topical product designed to be applied over the Enhancer Pro.
I can not say if there are products on the market that might; at this point I have not heard of any.
http://www.stonetechpro.com/
GeorgeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2010, 09:11 PM   #8
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
This enhancer should have been put on a piece of slate before you put in on the whole floor, "always test a piece"

I know that doesn't help at this point but it may help someone else.

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA
jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2010, 05:57 PM   #9
laumack

I have same problem...no solution, but question posted in new thread

Cdbrehm -
Before I saw your post, I posted one of my own. I used StoneTech Pro water-based color enhancing impregnator on natural stone and have a dull, dirt-attracting floor that looks awful...maybe my post earlier today will generate suggestions. At this point I am very unhappy with the product and the company and feel very "stuck" with this ugly floor. Would like to find a "wet-look", gloss finish but no one -- including StoneTech -- has any ideas. And I was never offered a refund of the price of the product, despite the 100%-satisfaction-guarantee on the label. Let me know if you find a solution.

Lisa

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase