Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-02-2015, 06:37 PM   #1
Houston DIY

Proper Way to "fold" an Inside Corner on Subway Backsplash?

Background
I am fortunate in that I framed my kitchen walls such that all walls to be tiled with 3"x6" subways are in increments of 6" (i.e the "range/vent wall" is 11'/22 tiles and perpendicular "sink wall" is 14.5 ft / 29 tiles).

I started along the more difficult range/vent hood wall as that required that I perfectly center the starting row above the range top. As luck would have it, this resulted in me using a full 3x6 bullnose to start the first row and end with a full tile at the end of row #1. For row #2 along the range wall, I started with a 1/2 tile and ended with a half tile.

Now the dilemma as I turn the corner on this project.

Question
Do I start Tile #1 / Row #1 along the perpendicular sink wall with a full tile or a 1/2 tile? This would result in Row #2 starting with a 1/2 tile abutting the 1/2 tile from the adjacent range/vent wall and would seemingly produce a "folded appearance" to a 3x6 tile ...as if if was folded in the corner.

The reason I ask is that there was an article in the October 2014 edition of Fine Homebuilding wherein the author suggested doing so would be a major tiling error. He suggests that "mirroring" is "bad".....full tiles shouldn't be butted against full tiles and 1/2 shouldn't be butted against 1/2's in a corner, but rather that the pattern be continued and that the adjacent wall tile should be opposite of the intersecting tile (i.e if the adjacent wall tile ended on a full tile, the next tile along the perpendicular wall should be a 1/2 tile). I would post pictures of the author's diagrams but don't want to violate any copyright restrictions. I can hand draw them out if necessary. Photo #2 is what I think makes sense, but Photo #3 is what the author in Fine Homebulding suggests.

Based on this information, I'm confused as to what "folding a corner means". If you seemingly fold a 3x6 tile in a corner, isn't this continuing the pattern? It's no wonder we all drink.

I hope the linked photos explain my question. I have taken photos explaining my two scenarios and a couple more of the range/vent and sink walls.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Attached Images

Last edited by Houston DIY; 07-02-2015 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Clarifications
Houston DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-02-2015, 07:28 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Bob, if the author of that article was doing the splash for himself or if his customer wanted the pattern done the way he was doing it, it was indeed right. Otherwise it's nothing more than his opinion on how it should be done.

If you search a bit here I think you'll find that "wrapping" such corners in an offset layout such as your pattern is the better looking and more appropriate layout. But there is no rule saying you can't do fulls and halves at such a corner if the customer (you or Mrs. Bob) prefers the look.

I tend to wrap all corners with all kinds of layouts because...............that's the way I learned to do it. And I like it. And my customers have generally preferred it when shown the options. But that doesn't make it right or make any other option wrong.

The only "rule" in the ceramic tile industry standards that even touches on the issue says that you "should" not have any cuts smaller than one half a full tile. But that is quite commonly tossed out the window when wrapping a subway pattern or tiles set on a diagonal in corners, both inside and outside corners.

When Mrs. Customer says of a tile layout, "I like it that way," that automatically makes it right in that application.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2015, 07:37 PM   #3
Houston DIY

Apologies CX. I searched "inside corners" (subject line only)

and didn't come up with much, else I would have scoured this site for more info.

Perhaps I need to get better at searching this site but if I type in inside corners into the search line, I get nothing but a string of posts or responses containing either the word [b]inside[/B] or corner, most all of which relate to Kerdi and showers.

Does the search feature on this site recognize word separation with "quotes"? It doesn't seem so, but I may be doing something wrong.

I think you have agreed with my preferences, but I now need to go convince Ms. Bob that you and I are correct.

Last edited by Houston DIY; 07-02-2015 at 07:56 PM.
Houston DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2015, 08:23 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

You wanna use only the Advanced Search feature and yes, it does recognize quotes and words connected by and and some other "stuff." I found a little under wrapping (rarely referred to as folding), but I know there's a whole lot more discussion out there and I can't find it either.

[Edit]

Here's one old one found using diagonal and corner.

Diagonal layouts is where the most discussion has been had on that issue in my experience hereabouts.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!

Last edited by cx; 07-02-2015 at 08:36 PM.
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2015, 09:54 PM   #5
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I vote for the top one of the two options.

New DIYTileGuy blog post: Flood testing a shower pan: Why it's done and how to do it
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2015, 10:10 PM   #6
ShortChop

Out of curiosity, what would you do if it weren't exactly on the half/full line, say at 2/4" into the corner?

I'd wrap them at the corner, like

4|2
2|4
4|2
2|4

I think it looks best when it looks like the wall was tiled and then folded, which would be the first layout. I totally agree with the article on mirroring - except at the exact half-tile line. IMHO

1|1
5|5
1|1
5|5
looks awful.
Unread 07-03-2015, 06:44 AM   #7
Houston DIY

After much searching, I found this post by T Hulse deep in

Paul's subway tutorial thread that perfectly answers my question about why the author suggested butting a 1/2 tile against the adjacent full tile. Apparently it is a popular look, but I don't like it much.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...0&postcount=23
Unread 07-03-2015, 12:20 PM   #8
Young Rich

Ive always done it the way shown in the bottom picture, looks more like a brick wall which that pattern is trying to mimic

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase