Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-22-2020, 11:19 AM   #1
fordperson

quick tile question

I am working on another shower. I am using aprox 1x1 hex tile around the shower drain and managed to set a single tile slightly (1/32) above the drain. I take it this is going to be a problem? what is the best way of taking it out?

Tom
Unread 02-22-2020, 11:24 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Below the drain would be a problem, above the drain is not a functional problem and if it's not an aesthetic problem I'd leave it alone.

Without knowing how your shower receptor was constructed, it's not possible to tell you how problematic removal and replacement might be.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2020, 11:42 AM   #3
fordperson

here is some pictures. its a kerdi drain. I was thinking of cutting the tile with an angle grinder and just chiseling it out.
Attached Images

Unread 02-22-2020, 02:12 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

You said it's a Kerdi drain. Is there Kerdi under the tiles? If there's Kerdi or other surface applied membrane under the tile then I'd leave it alone. You'll be opening a can of worms if you damage the membrane.

A lot also depends on how long the tiles have been installed. If they were set yesterday then the thinset is probably wet enough to let go without damaging the membrane. But, I can't promise that.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2020, 03:45 PM   #5
fordperson

yep there is kerdi under there, Im going to try to just grind out the small piece using a diamond attachment and replace it. This tile is quite thin and the area around the drain flange shouldnt have kerdi under it. wish me luck
Unread 02-22-2020, 03:46 PM   #6
fordperson

BTW how big of a deal is this? i know its not perfect but i wonder if its livable..

sorry I just noticed I made a mistake in my original post, the drain is actually higher then 2 of the tile pieces and not the other way around.

Last edited by fordperson; 02-22-2020 at 04:45 PM.
fordperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2020, 06:04 PM   #7
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Quote:
BTW how big of a deal is this? i know its not perfect but i wonder if its livable..
From the pictures it does not appear to be a big deal to me but you are the final judge. When facing similar dilemmas I often find if I give it a bit of time it becomes apparent the problem really isn't a problem and gets categorized as "fine as is".

Davy's "opening can of worms" is a apt description of what could happen if you try to remedy it.
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2020, 06:32 PM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
quick tile question
Best you stop doing that "quick tile," Tom. If you slow down just a bit you might find you end up with fewer of those afterthought problems.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2020, 06:41 PM   #9
fordperson

haha yes i should.

Well to give you guys an update, I was able to remove the tiles in question with a center punch. I started at the edge of the tile and slowly chipped it away.

Should be all good thanks all.
Unread 02-23-2020, 06:53 AM   #10
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
That's how I removed a 12X24 (over Ditra) that I chipped, Tom, worked great.

More photos once you've fixed it, k?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2020, 02:14 PM   #11
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

As long as you don't end up pulling most of the fleece off of kerdi, you should be okay. FWIW, thinset doesn't 'stick' to either Kerdi or Ditra. In the case of Kerdi, tile is help in place because it flows around the fleece, then cures, locking it in place. With Ditra, the tile is just held there mechanically because of the shape of the pockets...it's not 'stuck' to the Ditra at all.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase