Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 03-10-2019, 05:03 PM   #1
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Ant problem

Just in case anyone has this problem, a few weeks ago I noticed a few ants on my bathroom walls, maybe 5 or 6 just scattered around searching for food I guess. A few would end up over at my sink right at the edge of where it's wet, I assume drinking. I started looking on You tube and found a concoction to mix up. I mixed a spoonful of boric acid and another of powdered sugar and added just enough honey to make a thick paste. I placed a little on the edge of my sink and they flocked to it.

I first placed the bait on a plastic cup lid and they had a hard time finding it so that's when I put a little on my sink. After a day or two, they called all their friends and relatives and had a trail that looked like a Dallas freeway. The small amount on the sink could only allow about 25 or so to feed at a time but I guess they alternated filling their pockets and hauling it home. They all left for a couple weeks so I guess the stuff works. The few that were left were moving very slow for a day or two and eventually I wiped them up before I wife complained.

These were carpenter ants and I read that I would need to leave it out because eggs will continue to hatch and more will come. I noticed about 5 more lately and I'm continuing to feed them. My wife does this because at 3 am I'll go in there and spend 10 minutes trying to get my new friends to take my bait. As an ant is crawling on the wall, I'll place a small dab in front of him and he will stop and eat away. I guess I'm easily entertained .

www.davystephenstile.com

Last edited by Davy; 03-10-2019 at 05:11 PM.
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-12-2019, 07:01 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I've used Boric Acid for sugar ants (Argentines). Mix it with peanut butter and jelly. Work in plenty of boric acid. Place a small amount inside switch and outlet boxes in kitchen and bathrooms. Works indefinitely.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2019, 02:55 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Seems like I see more ants when the weather gets cold. Last week it got down near 20 one or two mornings and I saw two little small ants (sugar ants I think) on my bathroom wall. I placed a small dab of my boric acid bait in their path and they stopped to check it out. About 3 hours later I came back and there were about 30 ants eating the stuff. The next day they were all gone. No dead ants, no live ants in sight. They packed up and left and I haven't seen any more. I think it works but slowly. I'm hoping they carry it to the nest and feed others.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-14-2019, 08:35 AM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Sugar ants (Argentines) live in the walls. They will come out to forage. Unlike commercial ant and bug killers, boric acid kills slowly. So the little buggers get it on their body when they eat the potion and carry it back to their nests in the walls. After a couple weeks you won't even see even one. The stuff will last for months. When you see them again it's time to re-treat you junction boxes.

You can also sprinkle boric acid powder in the backs of your cabinet drawers and compartments. When they walk through it, it gets on their legs and travels back to the nest that way. The stuff is completely harmless to humans and animals.

And, of course it takes care of other insects and bugs as well.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase