Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #1
marbleheidi

reusing marble countertop

I'm a small DIYer with big dreams and zero knowledge. It's a good combination! My question is, can marble kitchen countertop be reused? We moved into a home with an old counter in the basement, 8ft x 16in, about 1.25 in thick. Can the marble be sliced in half, made into tiles and be used as a fireplace surround? This probably sounds weird, but I'd love to reuse the material if possible and that's the only thing the house needs. But I won't have enough if I can't slice the thickness in half and use both parts.

Thanks!
Heidi
Unread 10-10-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Heidi~ If you have a saw capable of it, there is no reason why you can't. Having said that, ALL the edges will be sharp an you should use a "stone" to polish them to an acceptable degree.............

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 05:35 PM   #3
Marge

Heidi, welcome to the Forum.

I'm not sure I understand what you are attempting to cut. Are you asking if you can slice the 1.25" thickness in half (changing it to 5/8" thickness) and use the top and bottom of the counter? Or cutting up the counter and keeping the 1.25" thickness?
Unread 10-11-2011, 04:51 AM   #4
bbcamp

I think that's exactly what she's asking (cutting the thickness in half), and I think the answer is no, not with DIY grade equipment. Even if you could cut the slab into tile-sized pieces, you'd have to slice them (diamond bandsaw) and polish at least one surface, probably both. You could buy new material for much less than the cost of the supplies or labor if you had this done for you.

The only way this makes sense is if a) this was a very rare stone that must match other stone in the house, and b) you were doing an authentic restoration of a historically significant house.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #5
marbleheidi

Bob, you've got it exactly right. And answered my question, but just to be sure, what I understand is that it's unlikely I could find a professional to take my counter, slice the thickness in half and make tiles (or smaller sizes anyway) for less than it would be to simply buy the material new. I suppose I was thinking I could get this cut as if it was wood and pay by the cut and then polish it myself. This marble isn't rare!

Thanks!
Heidi
Unread 10-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
fishin_pol

granite or marble 12" tiles are from anywhere between 2-5 bucks apiece. Using the old stuff and cutting and polishing would be 10-20x the cost.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase