Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-29-2011, 10:50 PM   #1
abmind

Counter top Granite crack - Advice needed

Hi Guys,

I built a new home but not moved yet. I noticed two major cracks on centre island in kitchen and disappointed, I signed the papaer but we noticed only one crack during walk through, but the builder didn't promise any replacement but told me he will ask the contractor to come and see. Today I noticed crack from undermount sink to edge completely upon cleaning the stone. I feel bad abou the contractor as he makes little money but I am too disappointed to lve with cracks after paying an upgrade price of 6,000 dollars. I am not sure what I need to do now, will the builder accepts the replacement request? Please review attached pictures and advice. One crack is repaired with epoxy but can be seen but the other can extend soon. My wife is so upset.
Attached Images

Unread 08-30-2011, 04:45 AM   #2
bbcamp

Joe, don't feel bad for the contractor, he's either making money on your job or he's learning how to make money on his next job. Both are good things.

Get your contractor in and explain to him that you want those cracked areas made good. You didn't buy cracked countertops, and you didn't pay to have the cracks installed. Be firm and be prepared to take him to small claims court (although you don't want to drop that tid bit into the first conversations). Give him a chance to make good.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2011, 08:05 AM   #3
abmind

Thanks Bob. That will give some confidence where I need to stand, yah true the Contractor is so busy now a days and it is the matter of making some less profit by end of this month. I will pressurize my sales rep to get the cracked granite replaced and will post the updates here in the forum, thanks again.
Unread 08-30-2011, 08:54 AM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Joe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
but the builder didn't promise any replacement but told me he will ask the contractor to come and see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
I will pressurize my sales rep to get the cracked granite replaced
Not sure what the relationship might be amongst any of those participants, but the only person you should be talking with is the person to whom you wrote your check or checks during the construction.

As Injineer Bob said, you didn't contract for damaged merchandise. That cracked counter top is just a part of your "punch list" and needs to be replaced before you make the final payment for the house. That's just the way things work and all those people you mentioned are aware of that. They're also aware that the acceptable number of cracks in the stone counter tops in a new-construction house is zero.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase