Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-26-2005, 03:38 PM   #1
vernal888

Mosaic Floor Tile - Help With Coverage

Hello All:

I'm installing porcelain mosaic floor tiles, and decided to interupt the project for a technical assistance check. The tile is Casa dolce casa green mosaico, and it is 1" tiles on a paper grid in 12X12 sheets. Photos follow.

The tiles have "lugs" on the bottom, and will rock when pressed. I started out with a 1/4X1/4X1/4 square-notched trowel, but don't think its the best choice. If I stand the trowel at 90 degrees to deepen the ridges, I get squeeze out between the tiles, which is hard to clean because of the irregular spacing between tiles.

Advice appreciated.
Attached Images

Unread 06-26-2005, 06:09 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Ewwwwww! Never had lugs on the bottom of mosaic tiles before. They are always flat, or nearly flat on the bottom. Normally I use a v-notched trowel to help prevent excess mortar from squeezing up through the joints. I think something is real goofy with these mosaics. We'll have to wait for others to chime in. I only do mosaics on shower floors, so I have less experience running into crap like this.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2005, 07:23 PM   #3
vernal888

Thanks for the response, Tool Guy,
The V-notch trowel is a good suggestion -- what size?. I'm thinking I may have mixed the thinset a bit on the dry side since it seems to compress under the webbing and not get up easily under the tiles. Also, I might try grey instead of white since I'll be using a standard grey grout.

Even though the tile and backing is a bit odd to this novice, the tiles do have a nice look -- sort of a tumbled antique stone effect that is just what we were looking for for this bathroom. Now if I can just get them installed.

I've only set five of the sheets, so if need be I can take them up and use them in the less conspicuous locations. Then I'll try again. Fortunately, the room is only 35 square feet.

Looking ahead, optimistically, I'll probably need to use an unsanded grout since the space between some of the tiles is just a bit wider than the blade of a utility knife. Others are wider, but only a few are wider than 1/8 inch.

Don't find this circumstance covered in my copy of John's book!
Unread 06-26-2005, 07:35 PM   #4
NCTILEMAN

These are actually 12 x 12 tiles that have been sawed down to 2 inch squares. I would worry more about the coverage and just be patient with the cleaning.
Gary
NCTILEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2005, 08:04 PM   #5
MHI
Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

They look like nice thick tiles. I would use a 3/8 notch trowel, and tap them in with a straight edge to keep them flat.
Unread 07-04-2005, 01:30 PM   #6
vernal888

Starting Over

Hello All:

Out of a pile of rubble, a beautiful new floor will emerge!

Actually, the initial mistake prompted a second look at the latout, and we decided to put the tile on point instead. The diagonal layout is much more to our liking.

As I finish the installation -- 3/8 notched trowel, grey instead of white Versabond, tamp the tiles in with a rubber float, and patience -- I'm thinking ahead to grouting.

The tiles are irregularly shaped, so the spaces to be grouted vary. Some grout lines will be 1/8", some tiles touch, and a few have larger spaces. I estimate the majority of the spaces are less than 1/8" overall. Sanded or unsanded?

Thanks.
Attached Images

Unread 07-04-2005, 02:11 PM   #7
Razzberries

sanded grout

Imho I would use sanded grout.Mix a little looser than normal.Unsanded grout is hard to clean off mosaics and not as strong in the long run as sanded.
Razzberries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2005, 06:36 PM   #8
vernal888

Almost Done

Hello All:

The bathroom is nearly complete. About 9 feet of floor trim to install and grout, a little paint touch-up, and it's a wrap on this bathroom remodel. Then on to a foyer/powder room floor. After a shaky start, it is a good feeling to be done.
Attached Images

Unread 07-11-2005, 06:50 PM   #9
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Looks great, David.

I've set quite a bit of Casa Dolce Casa tiles. They have higher ridges on the back than the average tile. I use either a brand new 1/4 in. square notch at the highest angle I can get it or a 3/8 in. square at a lower angle. I'm saying this for anyone who might read this thread in the future. I love Casa Dolce Casa tiles, but they are a pain to set. Somewhat exppensive, too.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase