Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 03-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #1
Bill Vincent
Tile Contractor

From now on, the only blade I'll buy

I started out doing a favor for a couple of friends. I've mentioned before that I buy all my blades from a place called World Diamond Source Down in Pompano Beach, Fla.. They've always done right by me, including when I'd bought a couple of glass blades that went bad. They took them back and gave me credit, no questions asked. I've been dealing with two guys down there-- Joe Bruni and Cullen Falkman for quite a while, and have developed a good friendship, as well as a good working relationship with both of them. So a couple of months ago, when they asked me to try out a new blade they were just coming out with called their "Zipper Blade" (I couldn't even find it on their website yet), I said sure. I also told them I'd pipe up about it-- good OR bad-- when I was done trying it out.

Well, I've used it on several jobs. To date, I'd estimate I've cut in about 2000 feet of residential work, straight and diagonal, thru kitchens, showers, front entries, hallways-- you know the drill-- without dressing the blade once. it's performed like no other blade I've ever used, but this weekend, it had its ultimate test. Adam and I have a house we're doing right now, where the front entry, halls, powder room, and laundry (all connected) are all 16x16 diagonal heavy glazed porcelain. I had Adam go over there on saturday to cut it in and start laying it if he had time. I purposely told him NOT to dress the blade, unless it was absolutely necessary. Not only did he not dress the blade, but he pushed the cuts through just as fast as he could. The blade never veered off course even a little bit, and only one time, out of about 150 linear feet of diagonal cutting, did it snap off a corner. I talked to him yesterday, and asked him what he thought, and he told me about it. I thought he was exaggerating. He said it was the best blade he'd ever used. I figured he just hasn't been in the trade long enough. So I tried it myself this morning. Splitting those tiles corner to corner in half, I pushed that tile through just as quickly as I'd push a soft bodied 6x6 piece of wall tile through a normal blade, and I didn't lose so much as a chip off either tip. What really surprises me is that the blade's got a turbo rim on it, and I thought for sure it'd chip the edges of the cuts. Not a bit. Also, the blade's got a heavy center hub, so the usual problem of blade flex causing the blade to "wander off course" is nonexistent.

I started off doing a favor for a couple of guys I do alot of business with. The way I see it now, it's all of YOU I'm doing the favor for. The blade's not cheap, but it's not overly expensive, either. It's the same price as any premium 10" blade-- 95.00. I told them I was going to post this, and they told me anyone that calls them and tells them they were referred from this forum will be given a decent discount, as well. The guys you want to talk to are Cullen Falkman or Joe Bruni, and the numbers they can be reached at are 800-611-8278, 516-977-2098, Joe's cell--954-479-4487, and Cullen's cell--954-531-8092.

I'm getting nothing from this, whether or not you guys buy any blades from them. But I'll tell you-- you're really missing out if you don't give these blades a try. I wouldn't give this strong a recommendation if I didn't think they were top of the line. Think about it-- the last time I pushed a recommendation was several years ago-- for Laticrete products and Henry Rothberg.

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right."

http://www.creativeceramicandmarble.com

Last edited by Bill Vincent; 03-28-2011 at 06:29 PM.
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-28-2011, 06:28 PM   #2
tilelayer
South East PA Tile Contractor

pitcher? I use detroit tool blades I beat the crap out of them and they last forever.

***New Here?? Click here to add your name to your signature***

Check out my Blog and see my latest tiling projects!

Specializing in Kerdi Showers
tilelayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 06:29 PM   #3
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

if they aren't free I don't want it

Tampa Florida Tile Installation
^^Check out our Blog^^
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 06:34 PM   #4
Bill Vincent
Tile Contractor

Rick, it's not just about lasting forever. I've got blades that have lasted a long time, too. But I'm also constantly dressing them, and compensating for the "wander" on hard tile. In fact, I've got a block blade I've kept in my truck for several year now, just for doing Cerdomus tile, because no other blade will stand up to it. I can't WAIT to use this blade on it! Seriously-- I mean it when I say I've never used a blade like this before. I'll get pics tomorrow.

I KNEW I shoulda taken some!!

I wouldn't want em if they WERE free!! You know the old saying-- you by a dollar's worth for 10 cents, chances are what you bought isn't worth a dime.

Unread 03-28-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

I've been using a blade that good,American Eagle J slot.About $70. here.The cyclone blade is even better but more expensive, and leaves chips.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 06:44 PM   #6
madronatile
Tile Contractor -- Seattle, WA.

When BillV speaketh, I listen. I suspect giving you this blade will turn out to be a good move for these fellows.

www.madronatile.com
madronatile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #7
Bill Vincent
Tile Contractor

They didn't give it to me. I bought it...... at cost. But I'm hoping it'll be a good move for alot of people in here.

Unread 03-28-2011, 07:04 PM   #8
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Does it cut cleanly, or is it kind of like a turbo blade?
Unread 03-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #9
Bill Vincent
Tile Contractor

That's one of the things that shocked me. It IS a turbo blade....... and it cuts clean as a whistle! I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Unread 03-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #10
Hamilton
Bucket abuser

Good for you Bill that you found a blade that is perfect for you. I use Barranca. I worked with CDC and got to try the T3. I like what I like, as I'm sure you and others do. For me the price is right, I can cut all material and it lasts for ever. The economy may have something to do with that. dot. dot .lol..=) As far as I can tell if you find a blade with a good J-slot (porcelain/granite) and it doesn't have the thick core the T3 has that hinders standing cuts up you will have a decent blade on your saw. The J-slots cut fast through hard material and even cut the soft stuff like butter with a crisp edge.

Hamiltontileandstone.com

Temecula Tile and Natural stone contractor
Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 07:46 PM   #11
Katwyk tile

Bill, You sold me. I don't pay alot of attention when I buy my saw blades I just always ask for the best ones. It's always hit and miss when it comes to good ones. I trust your word on these and I'll give one a try. Thank for sharing this.
Katwyk tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #12
Levi the Tile Guy
Tile and Stone Contractor

Bill, Does it have a thick core like the T3? That is the only drawback to the T3, but I'm about due to order another, and love the T3 cept for that aspect.

Grand Junction, Colorado Tile and Stone installation

Levi the Tile Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 08:25 PM   #13
Crestone Tile
Gonzo!

There are a lot of good blades out there. I bought a Raimondi Stealth and made three cuts with it on glazed porcelain ... It's now hanging on the garage wall.

I picked up a Bottini 1500 in a pinch. It's a fantastic blade.

"Shut it down!"
Crestone Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2011, 08:51 PM   #14
Old World Tile and Marble

i use dewalts blade recently put on an alpha blade someone gave me cause some shadowy figure named goooooooooze was coming and i didnt want to scare him with the 3 year old dewalt blade........................course i just did 1400 sqft of cerdomus and never set the wet saw up all rubi and my grinder
Unread 03-28-2011, 09:15 PM   #15
tileman2000
New England Tile Man

Hey Bill, thanks for the heads up.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase