Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-26-2017, 08:51 PM   #1
jctexan

Order of operations for bathroom reno

Hi,

Long time listener; first time caller. Have been reading the site for a little over a year as I planned a full DIY bathroom renovation/expansion and cannot thank this forum enough. My husband and I have done all work ourselves, with the exception of electrical (with a toddler in tow for an added degree of difficulty!). We even removed two hot water baseboard heaters and ran ultra fin under the subfloor!

On to the question, we have just completed the shower wall tile (with the exception of the bottom two rows), and tomorrow we were planning to lay the shower floor tile (Mother Of Pearl mini brick mosaic). However, should we grout the walls before setting the shower floor so we don't ruin the floors? We are concerned with setting a ladder on the mother of pearl when it's time to grout.
Unread 04-26-2017, 09:09 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Lynne.

You can certainly do that, but you've gotta be real careful with your grout mixing if you use a cementitious grout. It would probably help if we knew how you'd constructed your shower receptor and what specific grout you intended to use.

I am actually a fan of doing what you've suggested, 'specially when building my showers with a direct bonded waterproofing membrane. I'm inclined to tile and grout down to the missing bottom row of tile before I even set the drain.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2017, 09:38 PM   #3
jctexan

Appreciate the quick response!

We've built a curbless shower using the schluter system (combo kerdi board and regular gyp board with membrane on the existing walls). Off center foam pan extended with dry pack mortar (the shame! ).

4x8 white subway tiles, 1/16 grout lines. We will be using Laticrete epoxy in Smoke Grey. We'll also be using epoxy grout on the floor, but in a light pewter color. Overkill, I'm sure, but worth it to us. We plan to leave out the recommended 10% of sand/color powder from the mix.

So you recommend grouting the walls first? Then lay the shower floor tile, then grout the last few rows of wall tile, then grout the shower floor? The kept-separate parts A, B and C will not spoil, or anything, right? Anything special we need to do to make sure the epoxy grout doesn't go bad (other then keep the parts separated, of course)?

Thanks,

Lynne
Unread 04-26-2017, 10:07 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne
So you recommend grouting the walls first?
Nope, just saying that you can do that if you want.

Since you've already installed your drain and a foam tray on your floor, it makes no real difference whether you tile the floor before you grout or not, you still must protect the floor while you tile and/or grout the walls. If you were able to protect the Kerdi and foam tray while you tiled the walls, you should be able to protect the tile floor while you grout the walls if you want to do that.

Again, I favor not even installing the drain 'till the ceiling and walls are done or nearly done.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase