Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-18-2004, 05:11 PM   #1
MWWeiner

laying out tile

Hey Guys,

Here's a question about how I should plan to tile my shower wall.

I am using Haridi Backer and plan to fur out with 1/4 " plywood. Since the Hardi Backer is a true 3/8" and the plywood is a true 3/16" I will wind up with a total thickness of 9/16". (Incidently, the 3/16" fur will work nicely since three layers of membrane measure 1/8" and this will allow my Hardi Backer to overlay the membrane). Anyway, this 9/16" will eventually meet up with the 1/2" drywall. (I have a cathedral ceiling bathroom and I only plan to use the HardiBacker for behind the shower walls with my felt as a barrier). In any case, my question is as follows:

Assuming I use 12" ceramic wall tiles with a 3/16" grout line do I start applying the tiles from the bottom of the wall and work my way up? Do I get so anal as to make sure that the last row of tiles on the top cover about 6" of CBU and 6" of drywall?

Assuming I start on the wall, do I start up the wall about the thickness of the floor tile plus the grout line so when I lay in the floor it will meet up on the wall with the proper grout line?

As always, thank for the good advice.

Mike
MWWeiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-18-2004, 08:48 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Mike, you'll get different opinions on the joint at the floor. I tile the shower floor last so I run it up to the wall tile. Others like the floor tiles to go up under the wall tiles. If you want it done this way then wait to install the bottom row of wall tiles until the floor is tiled. If you screw in the drain you can figure the wall tile height with a level. Start at the bottom and work your way up. If you already have the floor mudded you can start from there and go up.
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2004, 09:10 PM   #3
Scooter
Remodeler -- Southern Cal.

I do the floor first.

Then layout the walls. The critical line is the first grout line above the finished floor, which I lay out with a high degree of skill and patience to make sure it is right.

I would want a full tile at the bottom row, and if you have a specific ending place for the tile at the top, then you will either have to be very lucky or cut some tiles.

I would make a story stick once you are ready to tile and see where the last row leaves you. If you like it, fine and dandy, if not, then you have some choices:

Try to make cuts that don't look like cuts, e.g., make cuts on a couple of courses, so there are no "skinnies" for the last course.

Add a border tile or trim tile somewhere along the layout to take up some space.

Or design the ending point to match up with the last course of tile.

The same would apply if you did the walls first, but you will have to figure out exactly where the mud and tile thickness will end up at the bottom of your wall. Given a quarter inch per foot, some thinset and tile, you should be able to get within an eighth, and can cheat a bit when you are laying tile. Add a quarter inch to that level and start your first course there. Measure up the height of the tile and snap that first grout line.

Good Luck!
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase