Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 06-19-2018, 01:22 PM   #1
fredericka3

Tile guy punctured my geberit in-wall tank

This is for a permitted new construction addition with a contractor, bathroom with toilet on exterior wall in CA. His tile guy put a couple nail holes in the plastic in-wall tank of the Geberit carrier when he tiled the wall. He has the wall opened up, and wants to just repair the holes with epoxy. I called Geberit, and this will void the lifetime warranty.

Is there any other option than tearing out the whole carrier? There's not a lot of room to work in the bathroom anymore, the shower glass has been installed and the toilet is right next to it. We were almost ready for final. :-( Thanks.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:22 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

I feel they owe you a new tank. While there may be a sealant that could work, a rigid epoxy probably isn't it. Most of the sealants are not designed for pressure, and if they are, want to be applied from the inside verses outside, and I don't think that's possible. While the gravity supplied water pressure isn't huge, it is constant, and the thermal stresses, potentially worse in the winter would just loosen the epoxy from the differences in expansion/contraction of the two materials (which is why a flexible sealant might have a better chance, but I wouldn't chance it). THe warm water after sitting in the tank then being replaced by potentially 40-50 degree colder winter water would be a significant shock...plastic tends to expand and contract a fair amount with temperature changes compared to other materials.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:03 PM   #3
cx
Da Home Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay
Is there any other option than tearing out the whole carrier?
If you want your product warranty, that's a question only the manufacturer can answer for you, Lindsay. If they can't recommend anything other than replacement, replacement should be what you get.

I agree with Jim on the "repair" considerations.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 06:03 PM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

I’m all for being as clever as possible to correct boo-boos. But I agree that this is one time to replace the tank instead of attempting to plug the holes. It’s unfortunate, and will cause a temporary delay. But, as a customer, I wouldn’t accept anything less than a new tank so as to keep my warranty and peace of mind.

Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:31 AM   #5
Dave Gobis
da Man!

Worst I ever did was fire a nail through a water line. Funny thing is it never leaked till the nail rotten off. Years later I repaired the line.
Dave Gobis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 02:30 PM   #6
fredericka3

thanks everyone, I talked it over with the contractor and he is going to replace it. Jim your response is exactly the kind of thing I was worried about, thank you for putting it into words.
Old 06-22-2018, 03:16 PM   #7
cx
Da Home Builder

Hope the replacement goes well, Lindsay. Do let us know.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase