Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-01-2018, 10:14 AM   #46
SemiDriven

What kind of cement is used to attach the USG Durock Curb?

Also need to put in a curb. I decided to go with the USG Durock curb.

The plan is to turn it on its side so that it’s 4 1/2” tall. I’ve filled the holes with thinset and plan to drill a couple of shallow holes on the bottom end to better attach it to the concrete with thinset.

Question: Does it matter if I use thinset or wet mud (something like Quikrete Stucco) to attach the curb to the cement floor and DensShield walls?

From what I can tell, thinset should be able to set the foam curb solid.
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2018, 10:37 PM   #47
SemiDriven

Found this thread indicating that thinset will lock in the curb securely. Cool!

Thread also indicates that these foam curbs can handle glass doors if installed properly. Good to know!
Old 04-15-2018, 05:05 PM   #48
SemiDriven

Getting the ceilings/walls Kerdi’d. The ceiling was…fun. That’s where I started and learned the many ways on how to “wear” thinset.

Got the curb in. Built a temporary protective platform around it since I’ve tripped over it a few times and took some styrofoam out of it.

The pan will be put in sometime in the next few weeks. Looks like tiling will begin in May!

Question about a tile saw. I’ve borrowed a tile saw from a buddy that worked well. If I’m unable to borrow it again when I need it, I may opt to purchase one (will use it in other bathroom remodel). What would you recommend in the $200-300.00 range?
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2018, 10:41 AM   #49
SemiDriven

I used Kerdi-Fix around the transfer valve hole (1/8” thick) to divert any water around the opening that might trickle down once the cover is on. Anything else I need to do there to prevent water from entering there? (picture below).

Also, patching up some pinholes in the Kerdi with Kerdi-Fix. How thick does the Kerdi-Fix have to be in order for it to be considered waterproof? I’m just smearing a dab around with my finger—so it isn’t all that thick. Just wondering.

Doing the flood test tomorrow.
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2018, 05:08 PM   #50
SemiDriven

Tried a mini-water test just in the drain area (drain is a Kerdi drain with adaptor kit). After putting a 2-inch thumb-screw plug into the pipe, and filling the drain with water, the water level sank after 10 minutes. Tried re-tightening the plug with pliers and repeated the test 4-times. Water level sank within 10-minutes each time. The water doesn’t completely drain out. It drains to the area where the Kerdi drain is Kerdi-fixed to the old clamping ring drain assembly. Clearly something is not right.

Would a balloon style plug make a difference? I’m not sure it would since all the water is not draining down and through the plug area.

Suggestions? Anyone run into something like this?
Attached Images

Last edited by SemiDriven; 05-12-2018 at 06:57 PM. Reason: clarity
SemiDriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:41 AM   #51
SemiDriven

Tried a balloon plug, and got the same results. There is a leak somewhere.

Schluter rep said either:

a. overtightening Schluter adaptor drain to existing clamping ring drain could warp the Schluter adaptor ring and possibly crack the ABS clamping ring drain.

b. not enough Kerdi-Fix sealant bead was used between Schluter adaptor drain and clamping ring drain.

In either scenario, water pressure due to the plugged drain is causing the water to leak out somewhere presumably between the drain connection.

The tile professional who installed the mud base as well as the adaptor ring says he followed the instructions per Schluter. I have no reason to doubt him. He’s worked with Schluter products before.

So moving forward, I said to the Schluter rep that I either tear everything out and start over or try and do a band-aid approach that might work for the longer term.

Schluter is willing to send me another adaptor drain if I start over (thank you Schluter!)

The band-aid approach that I suggested to the Schluter rep was so smear carefully some Kerdi-Fix between the two drains and then do another mini-flood test to see if the leak was plugged. He thought that could work longer term if the leak is in that area and the Kerdi-Fix stops the leak. Even if the Kerdi-Fix stops the leak now, but fails in the future, gravity would send most of the water down the pipe.

I think this is the way I’m going to go. If the Kerdi-Fix stops the leak, then I’ll do the flood test. If not, then I’ll have to install a new adaptor drain. Any thoughts?

Speaking of flood tests, would you do a 24-hour flood test or a 72-hour flood test? Does it really matter?
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2018, 09:12 AM   #52
MisterJJ

Using Kerdifix to try to fix a plastic drain sounds like a bad idea to me. I'd be more inclined to sand and clean the surfaces, then apply primer and ABS glue to the area.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:26 AM   #53
SemiDriven

Hmm...what kind of primer?

Would a local big box store carry both primer and ABS glue?

Thanks for the input!
Old 05-19-2018, 09:48 AM   #54
SemiDriven

The more I think about this, the water leak has to be getting under the orange gasket — water pressure (when drain is plugged) is causing the water to move up under the gasket (on the under side) and into/through the adaptor drain.

IF that is the case, would primer/ABS glue stick to the orange gasket? I would think not. Wouldn’t Kerdi-Fix stick better to the Schluter Orange gasket than ABS glue?

Picture below is not of my drain — it’s just for illustration purposes.
Attached Images

Old 05-19-2018, 10:25 AM   #55
Lou_MA

How far down did you drop the balloon plug? Down past the glued PVC connection where the clamping drain body is attached to the riser?

And did you follow the Schluter picture for Kerdi-fix’ing the adapter ring to the drain body? Including those “loops” of Kerdi fix around each bolt hole?
Old 05-19-2018, 10:37 AM   #56
cx
Da Home Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
IF that is the case, would primer/ABS glue stick to the orange gasket? I would think not. Wouldn’t Kerdi-Fix stick better to the Schluter Orange gasket than ABS glue?
If you try that band-aid approach, Chris, I'd definitely recommend the Kerdi Fix. But don't hold your breath.

A little concrete chipping and a proper Kerdi drain back in January is looking a lot more palatable now, I'm guessing.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:39 AM   #57
SemiDriven

Thanks for replying Lou_MA!

Balloon plug was at least an inch lower than the glued PVC pipe connection.

A tile guy familiar with Schluter did the adaptor drain connection. He said he followed Schluter instructions. So I "assume" he did put the "loops" around each bolt hole.

Being the DYI'er that I am, I probably would have emptied 1/2 of the Kerdi-Fix tube in that area. But that's just me.

I'm leaning towards carefully smearing Kerdi-Fix just under the orange gasket making sure it doesn't stick too far out into the drain area, letting it dry for a few hours and then trying the mini-flood test again.

What's the worst thing that could happen? If it doesn't work, then I go back to the drawing board.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:47 AM   #58
SemiDriven

Quote:
A little concrete chipping and a proper Kerdi drain back in January is looking a lot more palatable now, I'm guessing.
Ya think?! I really do appreciate your advice CX!

I'm going to apply the Kerdi-Fix and test that later on.

And yes, I will be holding my breath, crossing my toes and fingers, and attempting to maintain my sanity...what little remains.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #59
Lou_MA

I’d wait longer than a few hours before flood testing. Especially depending on how much Kerdi fix you use. I think I recall another poster here saying it cures at about 1/8” per day.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:27 AM   #60
SemiDriven

Good point Lou.

Sigh...more waiting. Oh wait, there is plenty more to do around the house! What was I thinking?

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase