Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 10-12-2005, 10:51 PM   #1
wazoo

tile over exterior wood framed balcony

Hi: I am a renovation contractor on Vancouver Island BC Canada. We get a lot of rain and occasional sub-zero temp. in the winter and dry 70 to 90 degree temp. in the summer. I have a client with a south facing non covered wood framed second story balcony that is currently sloped for drainage and covered with an old 60 mill vinyl such as "Duradeck". The deck construction is 5/8" ply over 2"x10" at 16" oc spanning about 15' over the living room below. My question is how can I install frost resistant ceramic tile over this substrate while making it both watertite and ridgid enough to support tile? My thoughts were to build up the existing plywood to 1" after removing the vinyl coating by glueing and screwing 3/8" sanded ply over top without overlapping seams. Then installing a waterproof membrane such as torch or some other peal and stick product and then installing the frost proof tile. But what about bonding to the membrane? or here's a new idea, what about the new "Kardi" by "Schluter" shower pan system? Would it be suitable for an exterior application?.......Any thoughts appreciated
wazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-13-2005, 06:56 AM   #2
bbcamp

Instead of tile, consider brick pavers over a membrane roof deck.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2005, 05:13 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Wazoo, Welcome aboard.

I think Bob means loose laid pavers. Not sure.

Bob, what about if we were to add a two-inch thick mud bed?

Wazoo, please give us a first name.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2005, 06:42 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Sounds like a perfect job for Schluter Man. (Only sayin' that on accounta I'm currently at Schluterizing school and we discussed a method for that very application this very day.

The 5/8ths ply is a little wimpy to my mind, but with some of Schluter's Troba (I think), a nice mud bed like JB is suggestin', some Ditra, some Kerdi Band, and a nice proprietary edge trim, you'd be in bidness.

I don't know what all that costs, of course, but it would make a fine tiled deck.

My opinion; worth price charged.

OK, OK, I didn't notice that joist span, but ......

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2005, 10:50 PM   #5
wazoo

My Name

Sorry for not introducing myself, my name is gary Richardson
wazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2005, 07:41 PM   #6
4Seasons

another alternative

Just throwing one out there. I did a balcony on a 3.4 million dollar house so leaks were a serious concern, so I used a crack supression / water barrier trowlable membrane. I used triple flex from TEC but most companies have a comparable alternative. I installed 1/2" ccbd then flat troweled the membrane two coats over the entire balcony to waterproof the entire thing. Then I used the same membrane as a setting material as added precaution. It's held up for 4 years now and no complaints.
4Seasons is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase