Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-14-2005, 08:26 PM   #1
rusty

grout dried too light

I just finished grouting my kitchen...it looked fantastic about 30 mins after I wiped it down...but a few hours later the grout is drying a lot lighter than the sample color...it's bright white, and I was going for a very light grey. Will a sealer actually darken the color?

I tried searching for others that had grout dry too light, and a lot of posts suggested TYW grout stain n seal...but the online store no longer carries that product?

What are my options?

Thanks.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-14-2005, 08:30 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi Rusty,
It's possible that you have efflorescence. Take a read of this article. If it is efflorescence, you may be able to etch away the top layer of lighter color and expose the real color under it. Tell us how loose/stiff you mixed the grout, how you did it, and how you applied and wiped it off. The key things we're looking for is excess water mixed initially, or too much water used on clean-up.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2005, 08:39 PM   #3
rusty

Thanks Kurt.

I mixed the grout exactly to the specifications - I did not add extra water.

When wiping the grout I wrang my sponge nearly dry. I don't think it was too much water during cleaning that caused the problem because piles of grout I threw out of the bucket after I was done grouting also dried the lighter color.

I think it may just be a case of the color not matching the sample. I could live with it if it were just a little darker, so if sealing the grout will do that then I could avoid any staining. The stain and seal I mentioned seemed like a good compromise, but like I said it's no longer in the store.
rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2005, 09:52 PM   #4
kevin n.

I've had grout dry too light--this is one reason I use Spectralock because what you see is what you get--and I use Aquamix paint sealer. The orange box store carries several colors and I'm pretty sure you can get it on the web too. It's very easy to use if it's not just a haze problem.
kevin n. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2005, 11:46 PM   #5
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi Rusty,
At this point, why not try a solution of 50/50 vinegar & water as an etching cleaner? Try it in a small area and see what results come. Lots of times when the grout is too light, the real color is juuuuuust under the surface. I better ask before it's too late....is this a ceramic or porcelain tile? If so, good....go ahead with the vinegar & water. If this is a stone, STOP! Don't use the vinegar and water, as this may damage the surface of the stone.

This may or may not produce the desired results, but what have you got to loose? Nothing, and it cost nearly nothing to try. If it works, its less work and expense than staining the grout later.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2005, 06:52 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

As long as it's not a stone I would try a small area full strength. Let the vinegar sit on the joint a minute to give the acid time to work, then scrub it. Rinse well and let dry.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase