Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-12-2012, 01:54 AM   #1
rwbil

Master Bathroom Shower Design Ideas

After re-doing my last shower, I am ready to build my MBR Shower. I think the design is taking me long than it will take me to build it. I wanted to get some opinions on designing the shower.

The shower will be 5’ x 3’ and I want to have some type of bench. Any thoughts on whether to just go with a corner foot rest or a full bench.

One of the toughest decisions is which showerheads to install and where to locate them. Currently when another water source is turned on my shower head pressure goes down dramatically, so I want to run ¾” piping to the shower. I also have seen these Multi-Head Shower jet systems but I am thinking about building it from individual components.

Currently I am thinking about 4 jets, all on the same side of the shower (2 Shoulder high and 2 waist high); Regular shower head; and a hand held one placed close to the corner. All on the same wall. I cannot decide on the rain shower head. I might be off here but I am thinking same wall, because I did not want any shower head blasting at the shower door and I though odd to have shower heads on bench wall.

So from anyone who has had experience with mulit-shower heads, which ones would you recommend.? Where would you recommend placing them and would you place them on one wall? Is the Rain Shower head something you would recommend? If so, would you place it in the ceiling or on a wall (not sure where I would have space for it on a wall). Any shower head layout ideas appreciated.

Also how far would you run the ¾” piping. Would you use a ¾” valve? And where would you reduce to ½” piping.

One thing I definitely want to incorporate are Niches. I hate my current shower; the soap either dissolves due to its location or keeps falling off. I want niches to hold everything away from the water. Any recommendation on number of niches and locations.

Also another big decision is the door. I am looking at one frameless door that has 2 fixed panels and then a 2 foot pivot door. Is 2’ Door Opening big enough and would you recommend a bigger door?

Lastly for now, I have only done traditional showers. What is the Big advantages of going to a Kerdi system and would you recommend it.

Thanks in advance,

Robert
Unread 04-15-2012, 08:38 AM   #2
rwbil

I am currently looking at some of the model homes to help with some of my design.

I am researching different valves and some are confusing. I think I need a valve 101 class. I understand the difference in a pressure balancing valve and thermostatic valve, but am confused to the advantages and disadvantages of the Moen 3371 and the Kohler 680.

It looks like the 2 handle valve would be used with a mulit directional control valve that does not turn on or off water and the one handle vavle is used with individual on off control valve. Is that correct.

Thanks in advance,
Robert

Last edited by rwbil; 04-15-2012 at 09:10 AM.
rwbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
presidentsdad
Avid DIYer, always looking for a better way

We used Delta Theromstatic valves (their 17T line) with a handheld, rainshower and 3 body per side (we did a double shower). I use all of them all the time. I would thin the novelty of the body jets might wear off. If I had to do it again, I'd have done the Delta unit that has the two jets built in (18 series), but that limited some of my options which is why I went with the 17T series. Love the Delta stuff. We did a 1/2" supply line to the fixtures. No issues with pressure even with both showers on at the same time.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase