Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-13-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
bob Campbell

A retired shop teacher asks:

Can you help please?
My subject areas were auto, welding, woods etc. Tile is new territory. I want to apply porcelain tile directly to sheet vinyl flooring. The vinyl is well adhered to the cement underlayment. I purchased 12 x 12 tiles and layout is a done deal. The mortar I was sold is Versabond, a modified thinset mortar reccomended by the "sales associate" (a young lad not a tradesman) was what I needed. Is this the best choice?

Prep work included scrubbing with ammonia/Lysol mix followed by surface sanding with 100 grit and a final cleaning. Input Welcome.
Unread 04-13-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

Welcome Bob,

Personally, I'd remove the vinyl as the tile installation will only be as good as the vinyl installation otherwise. Versabond is appropriate for going over vinyl sheet flooring as long as Customs prep is followed. Follow all their recommendations for prep and install. You may want to bump it up a notch and get a stickier thinset like Versabond Flex or Flexbond or ... lots of others... If going over vinyl, I'd spend the money on a premium modified mortar.

http://www.custombuildingproducts.co...er=diy&lang=en

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2011, 11:24 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

If the vinal is cushioned, I don't think it will end well. Normally, the recommendation is to bite the bullet and scrape it off down to the slab. Then, you might find that there are cracks in it that need to be addressed. And, if you find a crack that has different elevations rather than just a spreading, you probably shouldn't tile it in the first place.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase