Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-18-2003, 06:05 PM   #1
Ryan M

Remodel bath

Ive just begun the last project in my house....the master bath. Was a total mess. Took everything out, vanity, closet, shower walls, cast iron tub, toilet, and even moved the entrance to a different location. A few things Id like to throw out there.
First of all after removing that really light tub I discovered a hole underneath it going right into the dirt under my house. Not like a small hole but about 1 foot in diameter around the drain. Is this a normal thing to find? My guess would be the builder/plumber located the drain in the wrong place and had to chip up some concrete to correct. Anyways, I plan to build a shower surround and do the preslope/pan and tile the floor as well. Should I use regular concrete to fill whole. Probably a silly question, im pretty sure this would be fine.
Next item is that Id like to do a 45 for the entrance to the shower and id like to not have a shower door (nice wording). Im thinking of locating the shower head in the ceiling rather than off the front wall, maybe one of those pan type. Am I asking for trouble with water finding its way out of my shower. The dimensions will be 5.5' x 3.5' with the shower head somewhere near the middle. The entrance will be in a corner on a 45 so some of the overall area will be cut off there. This may be too vague for anyone to assist but I have seen a lot of post refering to step in showers with no door and was hoping to hear some feedback.
I will be posting many more questions as this will be my first attempt at a shower pan. I have some before pics and will try a muster up energy to take during and after pics to post. Heres a link to the befores. Ill put this link in any followup questions if iv updated with progress pics as I know how excited yall get with the pichers.
http://groups.msn.com/TalahiIslandHo...nw?albumlist=2
Taken from the head at The Oyster Bar in Savannah
Ryan M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-18-2003, 06:12 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Ryan:

We just went through that hole-inna-floor thingy. Looky here:

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...&threadid=6916

Ceiling mount shower heads we've discussed, too, but I don't know where. Wasn't real recent but maybe a search would turn it up.

I don't like'em.
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2003, 06:24 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Ryan and welcome. The hole in the slab is normal. You will need to add a shower drain and move it to the center of the shower floor.

I think your shower is too small not to have a shower door, Especially with a rain hat shower head.
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2003, 07:51 PM   #4
Ryan M

P trap

OK, starting to put things where they belong, elec, doors, walls ect......but know Im wondering about something. I dont seem to have a P trap encorporated with my former tub drain. This is bad no? I have chipped away about another foot from my leave out hole in the floor thingy so I can locate my drain close to the center of my shower. I can always put a P trap in place, no problem. The problem is that the bathroom down the hall has the identical cast iron tub that Ive just removed from my bathroom and without a doubt has the same plumbing underneath. Im attaching a pic of the before leave out hole and should show the old plumbing from the tub.
Unread 07-21-2003, 07:52 PM   #5
Ryan M

oops heres the pic
Attached Images

Unread 07-21-2003, 08:45 PM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

'Fraid I can't see much in your picher, Ryan. Have you actually found where the drain turns horizontal? Sometimes the trap is much lower in elevation than the bottom of your exposed hole. Depends on the depth of the foundation in that area, where the drain exits the slab, mood of the plumber, stuff like that. Might be a couple feet of vertical pipe above that trap.

Cut off the pipe and look down in there. You gotta cut it off anyway.

If you had no trap under those tubs, you would surely have had an odor problem that would be difficult to overlook.
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2003, 01:15 PM   #7
Ryan M

OK, what I think way done is both my toilet and tub were sharing the same p trap.....possible? Anywho, I went out and got my clamping ring type drain and all the plumbing needed to accomodate a p trap in my newly blasted hole on the floor. If there is a p trap whether it belonged to the tub soley or shared with the toilet, is it going to cause a problem to add another in my floor? There wasnt an odor problem so I do think you are correct CX with respect to a trap somewhere.
Unread 07-22-2003, 04:35 PM   #8
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Ryan, The toilet has it's own p-trap built into it. I think you have one there, it's probably deeper. Keep a diggen.
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2003, 07:21 AM   #9
Ryan M

Ive located the p trap....about 6" down and 6" back so I will omit my new p trap from the plumbing. Im going to start framing my shower walls and the curb. Just a basic overview after i complete this:
1. do my preslope
2. form pvc pan, corners, curb, ect and leak check
3. drop my 4 mil sheething on walls (overlapping pan by how much??)
4. bakcerboard on walls, tape and thinset joints (bring board to bottom of pan or ??)
5. tile walls
6. several pints of guiness

that should keep me going for a day or two
Unread 07-23-2003, 09:26 AM   #10
bbcamp

3: bring sheeting to, say, 1" of preslope (healthy overlap)

4: bring CBU to within 1/4 to 1/2" from pan (as long as it's buried in the mortar bed, but off the pan)

6: enjoy several "standing around" sessions between these steps.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2003, 10:28 AM   #11
Scooter
Remodeler -- Southern Cal.

There is a Code requirement for a "dirty arm", the length of pipe from a fixture which has no trap or vent to a fixture which has a trap and vent. I don't know the details about your project, but would suggest that run this by Building and Saftey if you are pulling a permit, which you should do in any event.
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2003, 06:29 PM   #12
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Ryan,

To do the job right you need to relocate the trap to the center of the new shower floor. This entails chopping out the slab and installing new 2-inch plumbing back to the vent/waste stack (the vent goes out the roof).

We've discussed it a number of times, and I happen to have a picture.
Attached Images

John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2003, 07:35 PM   #13
Ryan M

Ummm, how imperative is it to have the p trap directly under the drain? My existing p trap is about 18 " from the drain....and Id love to leave my sledge hammer in the garage as I just finished swing number 127 in order to locate my drain in the center of the shower. But, I will do as you suggest. There is a vent tied to it, I believe it is shared with a neighboring shower.
Unread 07-23-2003, 07:37 PM   #14
Ryan M

Or as an after thought, would it be just rediculous to add a second p trap directly under the drain?
Unread 07-24-2003, 11:32 AM   #15
Ryan M

ill take that as??

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase