Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-21-2008, 04:46 PM   #1
damare

Question New floor and small crack in grout

We just had our kitchen flooring done in ceramic. We had a flooring person do it and he did do a great job. The question is.. we have noticed a small thin crack running along the grout in between two tiles. When we press down on the four tiles that meet we can hear a crunching sound.. just near the tips ( were they all meet) It wasn't walked on, and the subfloor was screwed down tight. Could it be that there wasn't enough morter under those corners( were they meet) should we take the grout out and regrout?

Thanks
damare is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-21-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
Rd Tile
Tile Man

Tap on the tile, do they sound hollow?, bet they do if you hear crunching sounds.

Might have bigger issues.
Unread 09-21-2008, 05:03 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, damare. Please put a first name in a permanent signature line for us to use (UserCP/Edit Signature).
Quote:
We had a flooring person do it and he did do a great job.
Quote:
we have noticed a small thin crack running along the grout in between two tiles. When we press down on the four tiles that meet we can hear a crunching sound.
Mmmm. Only one of them things is true, think I.

Gonna hafta give us a lot more detail on the installation before anyone can make a reasonable guess.

How long ago were the tiles installed?

What is your subfloor construction?

What tiling substrate was used over the subfloor prior to the tile?

What setting material (brand and type) was used to set the tile?

What type and size tiles do you have?

There will be more questions after we get some response to those.

Replacing the grout will almost certainly do no good at all in the remedy of the problem.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Richie's pretty quick this evening, no?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2008, 05:24 PM   #4
damare

LOL.. a lot of ?'s and I will try my best to awnser them

It was installed the 1st week in Sept. Subfloor.. I think was plywood 1/2 inch think.. ( and I say think because my other 1/2 is not home and he bought it lol)... there was full flex motar used over the subfloor ( which was screwed down tight) The tiles.. are 13x13. Premium grade polymer modifier sanded grout was used. All other areas are fine.. other then this.
LOL @ Richie being quick.... haha....on his toes

thanks for the input btw :P
Unread 09-21-2008, 05:30 PM   #5
Rd Tile
Tile Man

If only 1 layer of plywood, not good, if two layers, maybe, not a good idea to tile directly over any plywood.

Any cementboard installed here?
Unread 09-21-2008, 05:32 PM   #6
koihito
A person, like you.

Are you saying the tile was set on plywood? While it is possible to do, the list of rules one must follow to do it correctly is really long and I've never personally seen it done right. Expound on what do you mean by screwed down tight...

www.mikoskiconstruction.com
koihito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2008, 05:39 PM   #7
damare

I don't know if cement board was installed 1st... he has been doing it for 18 years with a well known company. What I ment by.. screwing it down tight, was...it wasn't just slapped down were it could pop up. We just got off the phone with him.. and he is going to come look and replace or do what needs to be done.

Thanks a ton you guys :P
Unread 09-21-2008, 05:55 PM   #8
HotinOKC

This guy could have saved alot of hassle if he installed it according to specs.

Make sure you find out how thick the subfloor is, and what the tiles were set on.

Could you tell us the size of your floor joists, the unsuported span, and center to center?

Support our Troops!
http://www.dav.org
HotinOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2008, 06:04 PM   #9
damare

I don't know.. were we bought the sub flooring ( home depot ) they sold us the subflooring saying that was what to use for subfloor for ceramic ( again it might not be plywood) As well.. the kitchen guy who redid our kitchen said to use 1/2 inch.. as we still has the previous sub flooring in... we had vinal on that, which we could not get up. Either way.. the guy that did it, is coming and he will be the one that has to fix it...

Thanks again
Unread 09-21-2008, 06:19 PM   #10
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Danie,

Please hang with us if you would. Far too many times, we've seen the symptoms (rather than the underlying cause) treated. And that makes for a short-lived repair. Just about every pro here would agree that something a little deeper needs to be explored and corrected on your floor. The questions we're asking will help you understand if your installation is up to specs, or on "thin ice" so to speak.

Your cracking tiles are screaming that there is something unsupported below the tile. Rarely is this a quick, simple, fast fix. We're here to help you avoid a short-lived repair.

Now if you'd rather have your installer "fix" the loose tile or two without the collective wisdom of the forum keeping you as a homeowner "in the know", that's your choice and we respect that. If so, good luck. We want you to have a long-lasting floor. Otherwise, ask as many questions (and answer ours) as you need.

Help an awesome summer camp!

Last edited by Tool Guy - Kg; 09-21-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2008, 06:25 PM   #11
damare

Thanks Tool guy I will be reading boards and hanging in even if it does get fixed lol..I am sure down the road I will be needed more advice when we do other flooring... I appreciate all of your inputs and insites!
So far the tile itself is fine.. and that is why we called him now instead of later, since I don't want the grout to crack more and therefore possibly causing the tile itself to crack. I hope when he gets here, that he will fix it proper and will make sure it gets done the right way. But being able to read all your posts.. makes it easier to ask the right ?'s and such.

I don't know if the subfloor was plywood.. it was a smooth wood, I have seen some plywood sheets and ours didn't look like those ones...

Unread 09-21-2008, 06:46 PM   #12
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

To start, you need to ask the contractor these questions. You need specific answers from them...not general answers. Like "flex mortar" is too general...we'd rather hear the exact brand name and material.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cx
What is your subfloor construction?

What tiling substrate was used over the subfloor prior to the tile?

What setting material (brand and type) was used to set the tile?
I'll add this question: If a cement board of some type was used, was it thinsetted to the plywood floor, or simply fastened down?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2008, 06:48 PM   #13
scuttlebuttrp
Tile Contractor -- Jacksonville, FL.

Danie,
Where you located? Canada?
Unread 09-21-2008, 06:55 PM   #14
damare

Yes... I didn't say eh .. did I lol....

After reading here and there.. I know the subfloor that we put down was 1/2 inch.. there was the previous subfloor that the previous owners put down when they put the vinal or whatever it was down... both the kitchen installer we had and the home depot ppl said 1/2 inch over the exsisting subfloor would be good. All other areas of the kitchen,foyer and landing are fine.. only that one area.. that is why I was wondering why it would be hollow/hairline crack in the grout... was it not enough morter in that area...it is just the corner.. the rest of the tile sounds fine..and not hollow...maybe not the right thickness of morter ( hope that is the correct term lol) at that corner where all 4 meet......
Unread 09-21-2008, 07:05 PM   #15
Elfin

Danie, although you have just a small problem at the moment, what the other posters are trying to determine is if this could become a bigger problem. And if all that was used under your tile was a 1/2" layer of some sort of wood or plywood, the potential for bigger and continuing problems with your floor is huge.

Finding out exactly what's under the tile now could really save you in case you keep having tiles moving and grout cracking in the future... maybe next week it will be in one corner, or 6 months from now, over there in the other corner. Sometimes it takes quite a while for tile jobs to fail...

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase