Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-07-2015, 04:15 PM   #1
slayer73

Tile leveling system?

I am looking at getting into a tile leveling system and I am looking for input on what brand works and suggestions. I have been doing quite a bit of planks tile and hate lipage. I was looking at the QEP brand and it looks like you can get them fairly in-expensive. What are everyones thoughts? Thanks!

"If you don't open your mouth nobody will know how stupid you are".......I should have listened!
slayer73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-07-2015, 04:39 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Ryan, please type leveling into the Advanced Search feature and ask for Titles. You'll find a good number of discussions about the various systems. Would help if you limit your search parameter to the Professionals' Hangout, but it's not required.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2015, 11:18 PM   #3
Custom Builder

I use 3 different types depending on what is needed. Qep lash where there is plenty of room behind the tile, Tuscan seam clips where there are multiple layers of Kerdi, and Proleveling for the cross sections. For the money, the lash system works great, but the clips are quite thick.
Attached Images

Unread 05-10-2015, 08:57 PM   #4
tomormatt

I am definitely not a prop, but have done several tile jobs on my house. I made the investment in the mlt system a year ago while doing a floor that was already a bit tricky for me. Although the initial cost is not trivial and the cost to replenish the clips that stay under the tile is also expensive, I am very happy with the product. It is relatively easy to use and has a pretty short learning curve. My thinking is that cost is a bargain relative to having to redo any tile work that has lippage. Absorbing the materials cost of redoing would suck, but factoring the time to pull up and redo made the cost / value of the mlt system an easy choice for me.

That said, I have watched some pros do work in my house and they seem to get a great result without using anything so your incremental benefit may be different depending on your skill.
Unread 05-10-2015, 09:09 PM   #5
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

LASH thickness;
Attached Images

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2015, 11:18 PM   #6
ShortChop

There's currently an MLT system in the For Sale section here that could save you a few bucks over buying brand new.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase