Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-16-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
cathy244

bathroom carpet/tile threshold bad job..need advice

Hi

My name is Cathy and I really need some advice. We have a contractor renovating our bathroom and his work has been okay until he did the floor today. I am posting pictures for a better look. I see him tomorrow and would like him to change the threshold. If anyone could tell me what to buy and how it should be fixed I would really appreciate it. My husband is out of town so I am in charge. Has anyone seen a threshold like this before? I don't want my little kids walking on it, they could trip!!
Attached Images

Unread 06-16-2010, 08:15 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Kathy.

Looks to me like nothing more than a couple pieces of quarter-round wood trim face to face. Or maybe a metal carpet edge and a wood quarter-round? I'm not seeing it well inna picher, I think. Not unusual, that. Some of the young Turks will be better able to see what you've got.

Was that the way the carpet was finished before the tile was installed?

Did he discuss with you what treatment you would like at that tile/carpet juncture?

I would not consider what he did to be at all acceptable. How you want to correct it may be open to some discussion, but he's gotta be able to do better than that.

I'd start by telling him what you got is not acceptable and see what sort of solutions he offers.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 08:22 PM   #3
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
Cathy,

Never seen that before, thats a safety hazard. I would ask him to put a corian or marble threshold in, 2" wide, as your transition, then you can tuck the carpet to the threshold cause the carpet is way too short to do that now. You can get a threshold at the big box stores, sLowes or Home Burrito. I think that would be the easiest and best way to go, without ripping tile out.

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA
jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 08:25 PM   #4
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

It's actually 2 of these in Gold.
one L under the tile with grout to it and another under the
carpet (probably previously installed) and clamped down on the carpet.

very disturbing looking to me.

Tampa Florida Tile Installation
^^Check out our Blog^^
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 08:29 PM   #5
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

I would tell the tile guy to lay the new tiles 2 inches further into the carpeted area. Peel back the carpet, and have carpet guys do a rolled edge on the carpet up to the tile. If the carpet overlaps the tile when the carpet guys show up by at least an 2 inches, then they shouldn't have a problem.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 08:35 PM   #6
custombuilt
Tile and remodeling contractor

He should have used a piece of schluter metal trim (A-80 at home depot) and ran it out a little further and tucked the carpet to it. The only solution to what you have is if he puts a wood reducer over top of it.

Superior Construction
Custom Interior and Exterior remodeling experts
Quincy, IL
custombuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #7
Hammy

Send a message via AIM to Hammy
Cathy, give us some more photos of the total job. Around the door jams, commode etc. Maybe a long shot showing the total doorway. Hammy

Professionally Built Mold - Mildew - Moisture Resistant Showers
Using Laticrete & Schluter Products

Click here to Visit us on Face Book
Hammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 08:54 PM   #8
matman
Tile contractor

Hi Cathy,

That stinks. I don't think a neat transition can happen without ripping up those doorway tiles. The small triangle piece is set way too high and the tiles are short of the carpet. The existing metal under the carpet needs to be removed and the carpet needs to be refitted to whatever you choose to be there. Could be a piece of Schluter trim or a marble/oak threshold or something.

If you need a little more height for the carpet it can be picked up at the doorway and a few tapered shingles could be slipped under the padding and then reinstalled, tucked to the new work with no metal. It will show some slope.

I don't know if your contractor can do that for you but run it by him as an idea.
Unread 06-16-2010, 10:28 PM   #9
cathy244

Thanks for all your replys. I did some searching in the garage and found the old carpet that he cut and a new piece of the bronze that he used against the tile. I'm so mad right now. He changed the silver carpet edge to a bronze edge. Should I ask him to remove the tile that is not level. We also got him to install under floor heating. I'm scared he will damage that if he removes tile. How can you run a marble piece across if the floor tiles aren't level. Here are some more pics.
Attached Images

Unread 06-16-2010, 10:35 PM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

Difficult to believe he actually cut the carpet to do that. Now you can't have your transition under the door where it belongs, even if he re-does the tile.

The suggestion of some sort of reducer that will cover the carpet edge and butt up against the tile is about the only good solution I see at this point.

Unless maybe you can stretch the carpet enough to get back under the door and have him re-do the tile.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 10:38 PM   #11
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

My eyes hurt

Cathy,

Have you tested the under floor heating yet? What type ? electric cables or hydronic? If you're lucky it doesn't work, and he'll fix everything.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2010, 11:09 PM   #12
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

Bingo, I was right, pretty bad.

and that cut at the floor register....WOW!

the Schluter - Reno U would have looked good or even the CTC Carpet Trim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cx
Difficult to believe he actually cut the carpet to do that. Now you can't have your transition under the door where it belongs, even if he re-does the tile
yeah he could have cut where my red line is and saved 2"

Name:  attachment.jpg
Views: 1456
Size:  7.3 KB

Tampa Florida Tile Installation
^^Check out our Blog^^
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 05:49 AM   #13
matman
Tile contractor

At this point knowing that heat is in the floor ripping up tiles could cause some expensive damage. Seeing the long range photo I'd suggest an oak threshold that butts the tile and stops at the carpet side of the jamb. Refit the carpet to that.

I don't think he can get the piece of knockover carpet metal out from under the tile without removing tiles. Probably have to back cut the oak at an angle to get it closer to the tile already installed because of the metal piece. Caulk right over it I think he could remove that one small triangle tile and drop it down without damaging heat wires....I would think.

Not a great finish for the install but it might be the best you can do. Someone may have a better suggestion.
Unread 06-17-2010, 07:20 AM   #14
lasvegaslenny
Desert Dweller

I hope the heat register cover is big enought to cover those cuts around it! Why cut that carpet like that? I always just fold back the carpet until I know where I'm going to wind up with the tile edge. Carpet guy might be able to stretch the carpet close enough with one of those really long stretcher.

www.MasterBuiltLasVegas.com

"We are born to action; and whatever is capable of suggesting and guiding action has power over us from the first." -Charles Horton Cooley
lasvegaslenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase