Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-14-2003, 11:57 AM   #1
Ellron

New Shower Project

I have embarked on a new shower project. I have removed the original bathtub and all tiles and I am now left with a 60" x 32" space where the new shower will reside. I have decided to purchase a marble like shower pan (36"x 42" ) as the base for my project. I wanted to utilize the remaining 18" for a shower bench but I am becoming quite concerned about what I read about these shower benches leaking. Perhaps I should have considered building the bench within the shower pan but that is not an option now as I already have the 36" x42" pan. I need expert instructions on how to construct a bench that will sit at the end of the shower pan and adjoin the wall. I had thought that I would line the shower with Dens Shield but after reading many of the entries on this site I have decided to go with the Perma Base cement board manufactured by National Gypsum. The bench was to be topped with a marble slab 36" x 19". The opening to the shower would be a 2 foot freestanding glass door and the remaining 3 feet would also be glass. I definately need help in the construction of this shower bench and would appreciate any advice anyone has to offer.

Thanks

Ron
Ellron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-14-2003, 02:12 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Ron, Welcome aboard.

I don't like the arrangement, but as you've indicated, we'll need to make the best of it. The key will be waterproofing the bench area.

I would build a very stron framework, cover is with 3/4 in. plywood and cement backer board. Then use a waterproof membrane over the seat and the wall areas adjacent to it. There are Laticrete "Floor 'n Wall" waterproofer and Custom's Red Guard, available at Lowes and Home Depot respectively. These are tile-ready products that thin set mortar will bond to.

Additionally, I would install the solid seat top and let the wall tiles rest upon it, rather than tiling down and then having the seat top bump up against the tiles.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2003, 02:25 PM   #3
davem
Systems Engineer and Moderator, JB Forums

Send a message via AIM to davem Send a message via Yahoo to davem
You may want to consider a corner bench that mounts on the wall like a shelf. "Better Bench"
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2003, 08:03 PM   #4
Rob Z

Hi Ron

I have built shelves and benches exactly like what you are proposing. I've used liquid waterproofers or sheet membranes in all of them (maybe 50 showers) with no problems. I usually float the bench or shelf with mud so it is sloped, but that could be done with cement board and framing. Be sure to pay attention to the application of the waterproofing, particularly in the corners.
Unread 09-15-2003, 06:25 AM   #5
Ellron

New shower project

Thanks to all of you for your input. I think I have an idea now on how to proceed with this project. Are there any drawings or sketches that would show a typical setup relative to corners and applying the watrerproof membrane to the corners and other parts.
Thanks again
Ron
Unread 09-15-2003, 06:31 AM   #6
Ellron

I just thoght of another question. Would 1/4" slope per foot be adequate for the top of the bench? Also has anyone used Dens Shield or would you suggest that I stay with the heavier Perma Base cement board.
Thanks
Ron
Unread 09-15-2003, 06:33 AM   #7
bbcamp

Ron, 1/4" per foot is plenty adequate for your bench.

Densshield is a gypsum based product. Gypsum based products do not belong in a shower.

Bob
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2003, 05:05 PM   #8
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Ron,

A quarter-inch might be a little much for the bench top. An eighth would look better. All we're trying to do is keep water from pooling at the wall.

I don't know of any drawings for the corner treatment, etc., but if you are using a liquid membrane, it shouldn't be a problem.

There is a video on the Schluter site depicting how to make joints and corners with Kerdi matting. They don't show a seat, but the principle is the same.

http://www.schluter.com/video/2002/Kerdi.ram
Unread 09-16-2003, 11:09 AM   #9
Ellron

My project is on hold.

I visited my local Home Depot to purchase some plumbing supplies for the new shower and I was speaking to someone in the plumbing department. I explained to him that I had removed the bathtub from my ensuite bathroom and that I was replacing it with a shower only. I explained that the prefab shower base came with a 2" drain and that I needed to go from the 2" to 1 1/2" abs piping that was there for the tub. I explained that I needed a 1 1/2" trap and something to convert the drain down to that size. I had considered using a 2" trap but it would not fit the space between the bathroom floor and the ceiling below it
( 2" x 8" joists). He explained that I could not do that. I would have to run 2" drain all the way. I can't fit the 2" p trap under the shower and I don't think I want to attempt to open up the walls and install 2" piping all the way into the basement . I would appreciate any advice or comments any of you may have. Would it be a real problem to go from the 2" drain down to 1 1/2" existing piping? I may have to put the tub back in.
Thanks
Ron
Unread 09-16-2003, 11:36 AM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

Sometimes you just gotta do that on remodel, Ron, even most building inspectors recognize that. Just do it.
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2003, 11:49 AM   #11
Ellron

Thanks.
I needed that.

Ron
Unread 09-16-2003, 04:42 PM   #12
John Bridge
Mudmeister

I think the existing trap is 2 in. and it has the 1-1/2 tub overflow pipe running into it. I havn't seen a 1-1/2 trap under a tub.
Unread 09-16-2003, 07:34 PM   #13
Rob Z

Ron

As CX said, if you must stick with 1 1/2" becasue that is all that fits, then so be it. Around here 1 1/2" traps are standard under a tub, except when the trap is below the slab, in which case it must be 2".

That shower base will drain just fine with the smaller pipe.
Unread 09-17-2003, 07:15 AM   #14
Ellron

Thanks. I am moving ahead with the 1 1/2" trap and 2" to 1 1/2" reducer.

I noticed that the drain assembly that came with the prefab shower pan says " no caulk". I am not too sure what this means. I assume that some form of caulk is required between the chrome piece and the shower base prior to tightening the large nut. There is no manufacturere's name on the drain. The box it came in says FD2275-PV2 2"PVC NO-CAULK SHOWER DRAIN. Also, is there any way of tightening the large nut on the drain without having to spend 30 or 40 dollars on a wrench that I will only use once?
Ron
Unread 09-17-2003, 02:54 PM   #15
MusicField

You can buy the wrench at Home Depot, use it, and return it.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase