Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-27-2008, 12:03 PM   #1
krimson_cardnal

Bathroom Threshold

Been away for a while, but didn't forget the value of this forum. I've just been asked to install a marble threshold in a bathroom entry. Problem is, and why I'm involved, is the new tile floor is on 1/2 cement backer over existing hardwood. Threshold is 5/8 marble. I'm needing 1/4" to keep it at proper height. Any suggestions? Could use 1/4 hardi backer, but all I'm needing is a 4x31 inch piece. Thinking 1/4" ply w/ 1.5" holes drilled through and thin setting the whole thing in place. I'm figuring the holes in the base will aid in holding the marble down. My concern is the thickness of the thinset raising the threshold to much. I've got no room to spare. Not a door problem, they just expect the threshold to match the floor. Can it - is it sometimes- proud of the floor?

Also considering epoxy to hold the 1/4 ply solid to the oak.

Really in a pickle here, any suggestions would help a whole lot.

Could I set it on a non-shrink grout base?? Could use dowel to keep it at elevation and pack it under, then pull the dowel. The front can, will, be covered with a 1/4 round matching the door trim's 100yr finish.

Guess I could also try and find a 3/4" thick threshold and set it on the existing floor. Do have an old one - 'cept it's 6" too short......
krimson_cardnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-27-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
koihito
A person, like you.

Well, I think your issues are bigger than 3/4".

Putting tile over hardwood, backer or not, is a bad idea. It just moves to much and the odds of cracking tile and/or grout are astronomical high. Your going to run into the same issue with the threshold. If it were me, I'd start over, if that's not gonna' happen, I think your best shot is a 3/4" threshold set with a urethane based adhesive (such as celmcaulk) and hope for the best.

www.mikoskiconstruction.com
koihito is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2008, 04:42 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

I'd pass on the job! Hopefully, you didn't set the tile in there...hardwood is not a good substrate for tile! While the marble may not crack, the grout joints will and you don't want your name on this.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2008, 06:08 PM   #4
krimson_cardnal

Well we decided to go with a 1" oak threshold. Going to bring it slightly over the tile - hides the edge and eliminates a joint, 2-1/2" flat then give it a traditional taper to the edge of the jamb, should look good. I explained the difficulties and I'm good working wood. Stained to match the trim it will fit in.

Provided them with the feed back provided on the floor [Thanks] and they told me that the oak floor is over full 3/4" t&g diagonal sub-floor and the backer is screwed to the oak 6"c/c over building paper. Been down for a while I guess and the joints look good.

My job is to get a good looking threshold in and your comments put me in the right direction - away from the marble.

BTW - my last contact was on my wainscot project in my own home. Came out great! Wall papered above the tile and dropped the ceiling to accommodate ceiling vent direct out side wall. Will try and post pics.

thanks again
krimson_cardnal is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase