Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-23-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
fladug

Minimum shower depth

I am laying out my bathroom remodel and wanting to make sure I dont get the shower too narrow. What would be the minumum depth to install, I just dont want to be cramped. thanks
Unread 10-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Not absolutely sure I understand the question, but what I think you need to know is that your building code likely requires your shower floor be no smaller than 900 square inches and you must be able to fit a 30" diameter hoop in there horizontally. That hoop doesn't hafta fit through the entry opening, just inside the shower.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #3
fladug

sorry if I was confusing. I am talking about the dimensions of the shower . I am looking at 5 foot long and 3 foot wide (depth). I am wondering if 3 feet is wide enough or do I need more room.
Unread 10-23-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
Toddman
Independent Tile Contractor

3 ft is just fine.

Good work is not cheap, and cheap work is not good.

http://www.toddthetileguy.com
Toddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Somewhat depends on if you're a linebacker or sumo wrestler or if you like to shower with a friend! That size is pretty generous, though, and should be more than enough for most people.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #6
fladug

thanks for the reply. I am just 5"11 200 lbs so I dont need a whole lot. I just wanted to make sure I didnt get it too cramped so I couldnt move.
Unread 10-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #7
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

Measure your existing shower for a reference, but I agree that 5x3 is a decent size for most folks. Measure to where the shower curtain hangs if you don't have glass.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2011, 04:33 PM   #8
tileguynky
Tile Contractor Central Ky Area

If you had a tub surround originally, tubs vary from 30" to 32", depending on manufactures. So if you make your shower 3', it will feel a log lot larger than the tub. Most tub or shower enclosures that I remove are replaced with a 36" shower. Most homeowners say that the new tile shower feels huge compared to their old enclosure.

In a side note, I did tile a shower that was only 28" wide. The shower floor only had 7 sq ft of tile. It was so small, how small was it you ask? I had to step outside to change my mind.
tileguynky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2011, 07:22 PM   #9
fladug

Can I use the offset drain

I have 5 x 3 opening that was previously had a tub/shower combo installed. I am going to make it a tiled shower only and would like to keep the drain where it is ( standard tub drain, offset ) . I am going to do a mud shower pan and really dont want to move the drain. Will this work ok or do I really need to move the drain to center?
Unread 11-17-2011, 07:28 PM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

Doug, it'll help if you'll keep all your project questions on one thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. We can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

You can do the shower that way if you want. Makes the floor more difficult to tile, but it can be done if you find it aesthetically pleasing.

We generally recommend changing to 2" drain plumbing when you change from tub to shower, but you don't hafta do that, either.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 11-19-2011, 06:42 AM   #11
fladug

sorry cx about the thread. I thought I had started a new one, but thanks for the drain answer.
Unread 11-19-2011, 07:06 AM   #12
fladug

Kerdi Board

I was wanting to use kerdi- board in my bathroom and am having a hard time finding it. I am in NW Florida ( panhandle).
I would like to find a store where I could get all my Kerdi stuff at one time.
Unread 11-19-2011, 09:49 AM   #13
cx
Moderator emeritus

You did start a new thread, Doug, that's what we don't want you to do. I combined it here with your previous thread.

The Schluter website has a dealer locator.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase