Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 06-08-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
HammerMill88

Should I stay, or should I go.

My subscription is now up for Taunton's Fine Homebuilding. I have been a subscriber for about 5 years now. It was in this magazine I first read about Kerdi. Now I have a dilemma.

Do I dump the subscription for all the Green crap (i.e., legislation, building codes, etc.) they inundate subscribers with (in lieu of just say just common sense construction methodology, or do I just bite my lip and resubscribe. They really elevate my BP almost every time I open a new edition.

Beside the Green crap, it really is a good trade journal. They are so rapidly losing site though in my opinion.

Any advice?

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty; it is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
HammerMill88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-08-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
The Kid

JLC has seem to stay the course of the tradesmen.

Cascade Tileworks,llc
Licensed, Bonded & Insured
WA Lic# CASCATL894QA
The Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 09:29 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Yeah, Jeremy, JLC gets a little weird on us at times, but I still learn something from each edition and plan to continue subscribing.

Never did subscribe to FHB and haven't read it a lot so can't really comment, Joey.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
The Kid

Joey, I found an old antique shop and the guy was selling all kinds of old magazines out of it. after some good digging I found lots and lots of older FHB, back when its was to the core. Might cancle your new subscription and go shoping, or get an on-line subcription. I think it gives you access to all the archives.

Cascade Tileworks,llc
WA Lic# CASCATL894QA
Unread 06-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
HammerMill88

Thanks guys!

You know, the dang of it is, I am paying almost $40 to hear those guys preach their left wing philosophies (I am conscientious about recycling and not being wasteful - I don't leave a very big scrap pile). They are using it as a political platform.

I could be paying only $10 for JLC. I think I will get JLC and maybe go online to FHB archives.

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human liberty; it is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves." William Pitt
Unread 06-09-2009, 08:13 PM   #6
pitterpat
Bathroom Remodels and Schluterville Grad

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKid
Joey, I found an old antique shop and the guy was selling all kinds of old magazines out of it. after some good digging I found lots and lots of older FHB, back when its was to the core. Might cancle your new subscription and go shoping, or get an on-line subcription. I think it gives you access to all the archives.
I've got some FHB's that I am willing to sell. I've had them boxed up since I moved. PM me and I will tell you what editions I have that I am getting rid of.

This will also help me score some points w/ Mittie, my partner to get rid of some stuff!
pitterpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2009, 01:03 PM   #7
HammerMill88

Hey Pat,

I appreciate the offer, but my real dilemma is whether or not to fund all the sanctimonious crap being fed by the staff of FHB.

Good luck with your stuff.

Unread 06-13-2009, 02:32 PM   #8
The Kid

Joey, It may be santamonies bs, but its what people want these days and if you can educate yourself just a bit on the up coming trends, it can become a great model to help broaden your buisness, specially in these tough times. The more you have to offer, the less trouble youll have staying booked.

Cascade Tileworks,llc
WA Lic# CASCATL894QA
Unread 06-13-2009, 08:29 PM   #9
HammerMill88

Jason - the kid,

Did you read my first post? Maybe you should read it. That will answer your comments.

I will not accept pushing (much less fund) a political agenda to broaden my horizons thank you.

Unread 06-13-2009, 09:18 PM   #10
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Joey,
It's no more "sanctimonious crap" than hurricane straps or water hammer arresters. It's new technology and it's quickly becoming "law". If they didn't make a point of it every issue they would be doing a disservice to all of their other subscribers who AREN'T so tied up in their political ideology that they can't see the quickly evolving market around them. Pay your subscription or don't, but you can't fault the magazine for telling you truths which you would rather not hear.
That's where the market is going. That's where the industry is going. That's the way the current crop of architects, and all those who will come after, will have been trained. Get used to it or find another line of work. It's really that simple.
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #11
WFB
tile setter

Joey, preach on brother!!
I am also an avid reader of FHB. I have learned a lot about new products and techniques in each issue. That said, I am also sick of all the liberal BS in these magazines. People can talk about all the new "trends" they want. In my experience, most customers think that's fine and dandy until they have to pay more for inferior products. This whole green thing is a fad and is pretty much useless where the rubber meets the road, i.e. the customers pocket book.
I'm switching to JLC.

Just because I talk slow doesn't mean I'm stupid.
WFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2009, 12:47 PM   #12
HammerMill88

Shaugnn, your words have the properties of masonite... here today, gone tomorrow. They have no fundamental meaning, and your examples of hurricane straps and hammer arrestors are poor indeed - those are examples of better practices that have a definite impact upon the safety of people.

The "green" technology being pushed is not based on better methodology, it is based upon more laws and more control of peoples lives and pocket books. It is another avenue to charge people extraneous amounts of money for things that are in the long run no "greener" than current construction practices.

Berje, I hope it is only a fad. I am afraid it will not stop until the middle-class exists no more.

Enough for now, I am going to build a windmill.

Unread 06-14-2009, 12:58 PM   #13
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Joey,
How are my examples "poor"? Before a string of catastrophes in the American SouthEast, were hurricane straps common practice or did most roofers ignore them because of the increased hassle and "cost" they posed? Now, in the light of our past experiences AND laws meant to address that failing, they are EXPECTED by all but the most backward builders. Let's take a few steps back from there. How about the size of nails you use in framing? What do you use and *why* do you use them? Did you divine that your current spikes are the best probable fasteners or did the industry tell you that you *had* to go out of your way to use a more specific quality?
You are obviously hung up on the "green" label, so ignore that. "Green" is a lazy man's label anyway. It's used far too broadly to mean much of anything except to those who pursue it like toadies or those others, like yourself, who will resist tooth-and-nail because you can't bring yourself to choke down broccoli because you're being told it's "good for you".
If you can't get over the "green" label, then maybe driving a bus is going to make you happier in the long run?
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2009, 01:04 PM   #14
ob1kanobee

Just watch DIY network and Holmes On Homes. What else do ya need

Rule number one in life: You go with what you got, imperfections and all.
ob1kanobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2009, 01:17 PM   #15
The Kid

Yes, the green movement thing can be overwhelming if you dont understand it, but it is not at all a new idea it started back in the 70's when people were starting to discover the affects pesticides and chemicals had on underground aquafers. Its not about up sells and such to dup the consumer, its about trying to get humanity as a whole to make our planet a more healthy place to live so our generations to come can enjoy it. Its no argument that we are trashing this place we live, and our damage has only been short lived. If someones not out there spreading the word, there would be idiots out there still using DDT on there crops and lead paint where there kids play. If its not for you then dont complain to us about it, I on the other hand would like to do as much as I can to make this world a better place to live in.

Cascade Tileworks,llc
WA Lic# CASCATL894QA

Last edited by The Kid; 06-14-2009 at 01:32 PM.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase