Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-13-2007, 05:26 AM   #1
RollTideFan

Tile and Toilet Flange Height

Hey Guys,
Looking for some help. I just tiled my bathroom floor and like most people with this problem the toilet flange is 7/8 inch below the tile height now. How high do I need to raise this toilet flange? Level with the tile or just abaove. I went to HD and the people they have working there know nothing. I ask for a toilet flange extension kit and the guy didn't know what I was talking about. So I went to Low's. The guy there gave me two stackable kits at 20 bucks a pop. The kit consist of (1) 1/2" flange and (1) 1/4" flange. If I buy 2 kits will stacking two of the 1/2" flanges be enough hence this would put me 1/8" above the tile height? Does anyone have any other advice? Its always appreciated from you guys.

Thanks,
Torrey Gentry
Birmingham, AL.
RollTideFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-13-2007, 06:27 AM   #2
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Hi Torrey,

All the information you need is right in this Liberry link:
http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...ad.php?t=40603

Ideally the flange should rise 1/4" to 3/8" above the tile surface. Those extenders can work for you. Make sure the current flange top is clean, and use silicone between it and the plastic extenders. Heed the instructions that come with the extenders, of course.

When you shop at the big box stores, don't ask any questions. Just smile and nod at the help, get what you need, pay, and leave.
Unread 08-13-2007, 06:38 AM   #3
RollTideFan

Thanks DD, Yeh man you're right the people they hire are rediculous. I guess thats why guys like me come to this site. You guys are great, and thanks for the help.

Torrey
RollTideFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2007, 06:54 AM   #4
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

In all fairness, I believe that those big box employees are mostly decent folk. Their worst offense is being unaware of their ignorance. Their ignorance is the fault of management.

I'm too ignorant to work in most of the departments there. But at least I know it - and can fix it if I had to.
Unread 08-13-2007, 07:28 AM   #5
jod78

It's not imperative that the flange bottom be on top of the finished tile. I at least think the top of the flange should be flush with the tile, and I use a thicker wax ring in that case. Anything lower than that should be raised.
jod78 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase