Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-21-2007, 09:50 PM   #1
Hokie01

Shower Pan buildup - offset drain

Hello all - I'm planning out a bathroom remodel and have a somewhat silly question. When I tear out the old shower and start the tile job, I'd like to do myself a favor and not relocate the drain, which is offset from the center of the rectangle.

To do the mud buildup do I just use the 1/4"/ft to the farthest wall and then adjust the slope on the shorter lengths so the final height is level along each of the 3 walls?
Hokie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-21-2007, 09:56 PM   #2
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

You got it right, Hokie. Welcome to the forum. Is there something else we can call you?

How far off center is it? Are you on a slab, or a wooden subfloor? It may not be as hard as you think to center it anyway.
Unread 06-22-2007, 01:19 AM   #3
Hokie01

It's wood subfloor so theoretically it wouldn't be bad...but until I get the old shower out I have no idea what's under there. I'm planning to leave it where it is for now and if I can center it, all the better. Without measuring (because it's late and I'm lazy) I'd say it's a 1/3 vs. 2/3 split on either side of the drain.

This weekend I'm going to try and draw out a plan for the room so I can start a materials list and run the numbers. I think it's time to get a roommate...
Unread 11-15-2007, 06:29 PM   #4
Hokie01

What about Bonsal's pre-formed pans?

So, due to an unexpected delay (shoulder surgery) this project has been put off.

Does anybody have experience with the Bondal pre-formed shower pans? It seems most people here use the Kerdi system but it sounds like the Bonsal product would be a huge timesave. Is the cost an obstacle? Not sure how much they run.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase