Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-22-2007, 10:55 AM   #1
RollTideFan

Grout Cracking Backsplash

Hey guys, I have a question or two concerning my new backsplash. I just completed a granite tile countertop and it looks great. So it was on to the backsplash. Here I used a 4x4 Noce Tumbled Marble with 1/8 or so spacers. I say 1/8 or so because of the distressed edges on the tile, some gaps may be 1/8 some may be 3/16 to 1/4. Also the tile edges are rounded so this would cause the gaps at tile corners to be around 3/16 to 1/4. I set the marble with Duraflex d40 white thinset. Stuck it strait to the sheetrock on diagonal pattern. I then sealed the marble tile twice. I waited 1 week and then grouted using a non-sanded grout per the tilestores reccomendation. After the grout dried a day or so later I noticed very tiny hairline cracks at places in the grout. Mainly at the corners where 4 tiles come together. I do not feel this is a movement issue hence the tile couldn't have moved after a week of setting up on a wall that has been there 20 years. Besides the hairline cracks look to be really shallow cracks. What should I do about this? Should it be considered a problem? The cracks are not that noticable unless you get really close and look for them. Thanks Guys.
RollTideFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-22-2007, 12:41 PM   #2
Mike2

RTF, we have nearly an identical Thread in progress half way down page 1. Go here to read the discussion in progress. http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=50013

Unsanded grout is good for joints up to 1/8" and that's about it. Choices are to live with the cracks or re-grout using sanded.

Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase